Need Odometer Gear

My odometer gear cracked on my 73 bug. I have glued it back onto the shaft and it is working. I have been trying to buy one at a speedometer shop. It seems that most shops do not want to sell you the gear. One shop in Atlanta told me they only had a few and were hard to get They would install it themselves but would not sell the part. Something about rare and being made in India. A shop in California told me no shop would sell just the part. So short of going to India, haha, does anyone know where I might buy the little nylon gear that fits onto my odometer shaft?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Ullet

thanks!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Ullet

These guys sell gears for VDO speedos................Alloy ones too.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

I repaired one of these by buying a brass tube the right ID to fit over the hub of this gear. I had to cut off a tiny length of this tube to make a reinforcing ring and then I pressed it over the hub to hold the gear parts together. In the process I also added a bit of super glue.

This was for a repair for someone else. I believe it's been nearly a year and I've heard no complaints. I admit that this means very little, but it was much cheaper than the $90 bucks I was quoted for a "professional" repair.

-

Jim Adney