Oil Life

My wife bought a 2005 Ion and has put 4000 miles on it so far. The oil life warning has yet to signal a time for a change. The dealer says bring it in every 3000 mile, but at $40 a pop, I think they are more interested in making money. What is normal on these?

Thanks in advance; Chuck

Reply to
Charles D.Wolf

Oil should be changed at 3,000 miles. If you think $40 is high, then have it done someplace cheaper.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Yeah, like an idiot I used to take my 92 SL1 to dealer for oil changes because my dealer told me that I HAVE to bring it there. Soon as I found out that I could have a lube shop do it for me without affecting the warranty I started taking my car to Mr Lube where is was half the cost of the dealer PLUS it was done on the spot. With the dealer I had to take a loaner car home.... gimme a break.

Ever since the warranty ran out on the car I started to do my own oil changes. I change the oil every 6000-7000 miles (always put Castrol Syntec 5-50 in it). My car now has 280,000 miles on it and still going strong.

Reply to
navaidstech

When I purchased by Vue, the dealer gave me the same lame recommendation. I posted this recommendation here, and a GM engineer actually took the time to email me about it. There is an explanation of how the system works at

(site isgoing to be closed at the end of December, so look fast). I was alittle worried, since my Vue didn't call for an oil change in almost7000 miles. So when I finally changed the oil, I collected a sample andsent it off for analysis. The lab said it was in good condition and wasgood for at least another 3000 miles. The 3000 mile oil chage fanactics are mostly repeating their grandfather's wisdom. 3000 mile oil changes have been the recommendation for years despite the fact that oil is much better how and engines are much much better better now. The removal of lead from gasoline, good PCV system, better air filters and, most importatntly, fuel injection have all worked to reduce the amount of contamination that is added to the oil At the same time, the oils have been improved greatly. Modern oils are far superior to the oil from even 15 years ago. Yet, some people continue to claim you must change your oil every

3000 miles or your engine will die. Well it just isn't true for most vehicels (apparently it is if you own a Toyota). Mostly the 3000 mile oil change chat is designed to rransfer moeny from your pocket to the pocket of the oil change places.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

You could have been doing them yourself all along. NO car manufacturer can demand you pay to have the oil changed, and they ABSOLUTELY CANNOT deny a warranty claim due to any oil related issue. I've replaced engines with

40,000 plus miles on them with the factory oil filter. I've seen dozens of engines replaced or repaired with the original oil filter on them. (they're painted like the engine). It makes no difference. I would like to know where people get these bogus stories about "well my dealer told me blah blah blah. " That is bullshit. No dealer would say such a thing, because it is just flat not true.
Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Wow! My dealer only seems to be a couple of dollars more expensive than the ads I see for the quicky lube shops and I only have to wait 20 - 60 (almost always about 30-35) minutes! Your dealer sure is lame! :(

HUH?????? You sorely challenge your own credibility by suggesting that all dealers always tell the truth. Did you really intend it the way it sounds (to me) or have I misunderstood you?

Reply to
Steve

You don't think a car salesman would lie ?

ron

Reply to
Ron Herfurth

Steve, that was 15 years ago when I was young, stupid and naive. I have learned my lesson since. Now I do my own oil changes (every 6000-8000 miles), and my own car repairs. My car goes to a mechanic only when there is something I can't do, ie. tire changes, A/C work, etc. But I'm not kidding you, the oil change used to cost be about 40-45 dollars and for some strange reason they just couldn't do it the same day. My dealer sure was.....and I'm sure it still is....lame.

Reply to
navaidstech

HUH? A dealer that doesn't lie? My goodness, what was I thinking? I am soooooo sorry to any car dealer that might be reading this.

NOT!!

Reply to
navaidstech

FWIW, a gentleman on the Volvo mailing list a few years ago ran up to 3000 miles and then took samples every 500 miles for analysis. The first sign of oil breakdown was between 5500 and 6000.

I aim for 3000, usually get to it by 4000 or 4500. I use Castrol GTX.

-David

Reply to
David Teichholtz

Perhaps I generalized too much. I am in the greater KC area and the dealers here are all top notch. They have to be honest or the public will not stand for it. It's too easy to contact the district rep of any given maker and get to the bottom of what is and what is not warranted to take a chance by lying to a customer. I know it happens, because I had a situation with a ford dealer in CHILLICOTHE, OHIO 6 years ago that still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I had to deal with them from here via phone and when I contacted Ford after the fact, they told me I should have initiated the complaint process whilst the truck was still there.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

The salesmen don't run the shop. And yes, I know salesmen are lower than a lawyer. They are so low that whale shit on the bottom of the ocean looks like a cloud to them.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

The funny thing is that there is no benefit to lying. I never did understand dealers that do.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

WRONG. The oils have changed. You are right in that respect. BUT engines are still cast iron and aluminum, and oil still gets dirty in 3,000 miles. Awful cheap insurance to change it. I never did figger people out who want to cheap out in this department. Same people who won't check the air in the tires and then blame the tire manufacturer when they blow I guess.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Thanks for the good factual info and your opinions. Your entire response was predicated on the mileage, but there was no mention of the aging/time component. Most places that recommend 3,000 mile oil changes also add that it's "3K or 3 months, whichever comes first."

Do you have any similar facts or opinions on the aging component? (I have my own, but would love to hear others views.) Thanks in advance.

Bob

Details removed

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Well I change my oil in my Saturn Ion 2004 when the oil life monitor tells me too. So far it's been around 7,000 miles and I have 27000 miles on the car.

I also have a Dodge Durango 2004 Hemi with 20000 miles on it and I follow the suggested 3000 miles/3 months for the oil change since I do not want the dealer to say it cannot do a warranty repair since I did do the 3000 mile thing.

I plan on keeping these two until it costs too much to repair or they until they reach 7 years old or 200000 miles. I'll let everyone know what one engine goes first and I know it's not a fair comparison but it's the best one I can do. Not unless someone has the same vehicle and does the opposite we can compare.

Reply to
<m.burnside

I thought you were of the opinion not to believe the marketing info from oil manufacturers since they benefited from shorter oil change intervals? I was more interested in understanding what happens to the oil over time that makes it require changing and if this varied based on usage/no usage. I mean, if Mobil One sitting in a sealed plastic quart bottle stays good indefinitely until used, then why does it magically break down once placed into a crankcase? I do understand that the oil gets contaminated through use and also can accumulate water from condensation, etc. but won't this get evaporated back out when the engine gets hot?

The reason for my question is that I have a summer pleasure vehicle that I put away each winter and generally only drive for 2-3K miles per year. I use Mobil One in that vehicle, but only change the oil every Spring so it gets done once a year. I have not had any issues... I also have another vehicle that gets driven about 5-6K miles per year. This one gets changes at 3K miles so gets changed about 2x per year. I also have seen no issues with this vehicle either. Just wondering what others do and the logic/science behind the rationale.

Thanks

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

"Bob Shuman" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

I mean, if Mobil One sitting in a sealed plastic

because sitting in the bottle, it doesn't get heated, swirled around, contaminated with water, fuel, blow-by, etc.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller