One headlight is dim

Hi- This is a 2001 Saturn wagon. One of the low beams seems half as bright as it should be (right side). Replaced the bulb but that did not help. The high beam on that side don't work but not worried about that. Any ideas on this? Thanks a lot for any ideas!

Reply to
Jim G

In many cases this is the result of a bad ground to the light due to rust/corrosion. If you are getting the full ~13VDC from the battery to the light, then I'd suspect the ground wire. If the voltage to the bulb is low (as measured referenced to the battery negative post), then it could also be due to bad contacts inside the headlight relay.

This should not be too difficult to fix. Post what you find for the benefit of others and good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

A good why to trouble shot this it use a pin to get thru insulation by socket and measure voltage with light on before bulb and after buld to ground. You should have around 12 volts on hot side and no volts on ground side when referanced to ground. If voltage is below 12 it is in the feed and if voltage is present between ground side of plug and ground then ground is bad.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The WORST thing you can do to a car's electrical system is to probe the wires! DO NOT PROBE THE WIRE INSULATION TO CHECK FOR VOLTAGE, YOU WILL BE SORRY LATER. Probing a wire is best way to start corrosion inside the wire and have a never-ending problem. Check for voltage at the headlight connector, high and low beams. Check for ground at the headlight connector.

PLEASE DO NOT PROBE THE WIRE INSULATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James

Reply to
James1549

I disagree, done properly it is not a problem and if you are worried about it you can simple put a little silicone grease or sealant on it when you are done. I pin make a very small hole that tends to seal afterwards and I have done this for many years in many applications and never had any ill come from it.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Jim I would check fuses , my 2000 Lw2 manual shows fuses for each head light. Sounds like it may be staying in the DRL position (driving light) which is dimmmer than regular lights.

Reply to
dale randall

I would say that the dim light has a corroded interior. The bulb generates enough light, but it doesn't get out of the headlamp.

I had another car that had water in the headlamp enclosure and it sounds much like your problem. If it is the case, the only solution is to replace the whole reflector unit. I tried and tried to dry it out, but I couldn't. It just seemed to suck moisture back in.

Reply to
Father Mike