"Washboard" feeling during breaking

When I break now my car feels like the front end is going over a washboard dirt road. The harder I break the more the feeling is pronounced. it tends to feel like its shaking rapidly back and forth quickly between the two front wheels, though I have no idea what causes this. Before this got worse, my break peddle was quite spongy.

Much thanks!

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

It's "brake", by the way.

Most likely explanation is that one, or both, of your disc rotors is warped. Any tire or brake shop can check this for you, and -- if there's enough thickness left -- correct it as well. If the rotors are too thin to be machined, they'll need to be replaced.

Reply to
Doug Miller

IMHE, Saturn OEM rotors are subject to SEVERE corrosion on the inside brake surface and are often unserviceable well before the pads wear out. Suggest careful inspection.

I have had MUCH better service from offshore rotors costing a third that of the OEM (or other 'brand name') replacements. These offshore rotors cost very little more than the normal cost to have rotors turned down (which usually leaves them so thin they will be prone to warp)

Good luck, YMMV.

Reply to
Private

And "pedal" also.

It's more likely uneven deposits of friction material on the disc/drum surface (perhaps caused by rust), and not warping. See article here if you'd like more info:

Regardless, having the rotors/drums machined, or replacing them altogether has always taken care of it for me.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

Very likely warped or uneven front rotors. Heavy driving/braking habits caused this for me so I solved the problem by replacing my rotors with Brembos (solid, vented, not slotted for ease of maintainance )and pads with Akebonos. Violla! no uneven brake wear and enhanced stopping power! I also recommend having the rear drums resurfaced or replaced if needed and replace the shoes with Wagner performance. Just about any parts place will sell these and they wee less expensive than OEM thru Saturn shops.

Reply to
marx404