Belt tensioner, 97 saturn SL2

My belt suddenly became loose yesterday, and I'm fairly familiar with how to work on cars. However when i try to get my belt back on and tight I can't get the tensioner to stay taught. Is there a trick to getting it to stay because I've heard they're self adjusting so maybe my tensioner is just bad? somebody help! im frusterated and about to drive the thing into a lake! haha. thanks. chris

Reply to
kyfootballa21

Most likely a bad tensioner. They are self tightening. Just replaced one on my 97 SL1. New, made in the US Dayco tensioner was a little over $50 bucks. Don't delay replacing it or you may have other problems. May as well replace the idler pulley also, if the SL2 has one, especially if you have high miles. MR

Reply to
MR