Re: 2000 SL2 Cooling system leak

Refreshing an old thread...

I have a 2001 SL2 with 78K, and am having this same problem. During the winter it was fine, leaking a few drops at night but no hitemps. Now it is running up towards redline sitting in traffic. It seems (although impossible to confirm in such a cramped compartment) to be leaking from the intake on the back of the engine between cyls 2 & 3.

I'd appreciate any insight or tips that you may have learned from your experience before I get in there and tear it down. Sound like about a 6 hour job for a home mechanic?

Thanks! Goat

Reply to
GoatSauce

The only coolant to intake manifold is past cyl #4 for the hose to the heater and air bleed hose for 2000 SL2s & newer. The org. gasket is known to leak there. For me, it leaked at 82,000 and ran along the block/head seam to the front of the engine; looking like a headgasket problem. The gasket cost was not bad, but the busy work to change it wasn't fun. Have to work on the car from on-top and below. Replacement gasket lasted through

217,000 miles when engine was replaced.

winter it was fine, leaking a few drops at night but no hitemps. Now it is running up towards redline sitting in traffic. It seems (although impossible to confirm in such a cramped compartment) to be leaking from the intake on the back of the engine between cyls 2 & 3.

experience before I get in there and tear it down. Sound like about a 6 hour job for a home mechanic?

Reply to
mcyben