97 SL Standard, SOHC - Idle Racing

Could anyone suggest what to check for this problem. The engine will idle at about 1700 and then slowly drop down to about 900. If accelerating it will climb an extra 200 rpm before slowly dropping back down to normal idle.

I have tried swapping throttle bodies and the MAP with out any change. I don't have access to a code reader so any comments would be appreciated.

Reply to
ShootnStraight

Common problems with Saturn engines is the coolant temperature sensor.

If they fail making the computer think the engine is cold, it will idle the engine at a higher temperature.

About $15 for the sensor, about $20 for the connector to the sensor. The sensors often leak when they fail, corroding the connector also.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen