Recommended Tune ups for 03 ION?

Hello all.. I have a '03 Saturn ION that has about 50,000 miles on it.. what would you consider the essential things to tune up? Spark plugs, transmission flush etc? I would like to keep it in real good running shape, without breaking the bank!

Reply to
ericcbennett

The 2.2L engine will not need a tune up for at least 100,000 miles. The radiator and tranny fluids are good for 150,000 miles and you have no power steering fluid, its electro-mechanical. The chassis needs no scheduled lubrication.

So, maybe the occasional wiper blades, windshield wiping fluid and an occasional check up at your local shop once in awhile if you do have any problems. If this is a automatic transmission, do check on the tranny once in awhile if it is the VTi tranny.

Basically, gas it up and drive!

Reply to
marx404

Don't forget to check tire pressure frequently, perform regular engine oil changes, and check the brakes occasionally too!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Oh, very important!!!! on these older Ecotec engines I strongly recommend changing your oil every 3,000 miles. I believe the brochure says longer or wait for the Oil Life Monitor to come on, but the early Ecotec engines like to have clean oil to keep the timing chain lubricated. You can go with Mobil

1 Synth, but don't go any longer than 5,000 if you do. I know it sounds excessive, but it will help keep the engine lasting longer. Your last 2 chapters of your Owners Manual will show you any additional maintenance if you want.
Reply to
marx404

Okay, thanks for your responses! I have made it a habit to change oil every 3000 miles or 3 months with all my vehicles, so that is fine with me! That's cool to know this is a real low maintenance vehicle!

As for checking the tranny from time to time, if it is the VTi tranny, will I have to flush sooner than 150000 miles.. or just make sure it is kept full? Thanks again!

Reply to
ericcbennett

no, the fluid is good for 150K, no worries about that. Just have it checked every oil change when you bring it in, IF you have the VTi (belt driven) transmission. Other than that, no worries!

Reply to
marx404