Removable roof racks?

We have a 1998 SW2 and we're looking for a removable roof rack with cross-bars for it. Our Saturn dealer's quoting $227.74, but it'd not surprise me if there's something else I can get for half that that'll do the job. However, with the other removable roof racks around, I'm having a hard time finding any assurances that they will work with our SW2.

Can anyone recommend any removable roof-racks that are more reasonably priced that are known to fit fine on the SW2? (Also, a friend has an SW or SW2 a few years older - would the same work on that?) Or will pretty much any of them fit?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

yakama but they are still around 180.00

Reply to
p_vouers

I've got a Thule rack on my 2001 SL1 and it works well. You have to remove the plastic trim pieces on top of the door openings (with a torx driver) place the rack retaining clips to the roof and put the plastic trim pieces back on. Once you get the rack set up correctly the first time it comes on and off in a minute. The retaining clips stay with the car and you can hardly notice them.

If you go this way you'll need the "Aero Feet" the specific "Fit Kit" for your car and the Cross Bars (a fairing will cut down on the wind noise so you might want to get one of them too). The Thule web site will tell you the exact part numbers that will fit your car. Try "Rack Warehouse", they usually have the best prices. Since I only carry a couple of bike racks or a ski rack I shortened the crossbars, they stuck out quite a bit, so sooner or later I was bound to whack my head getting into the car.

Oh yeah, you'll find out that none of this is cheap, but it will be less than the rack from the dealer.

Reply to
micven55

Think twice before using the Thule racks. I've had two sets - for a

1997 and 1999 SL2 - and in both cases at least one of the towers failed, once catastrophically on a thruway (leaving both bikes bouncing and destroyed). Apparently, the rods are under tension on the newer Thule racks (e.g., the non-gutter-mount racks) and the strut towers aren't strong enough to maintain the compression stress.

In neither failure did Thule respond to letters sent them - both were about 1.5 yrs old and out of warranty. The second time irked me and I decided not to buy their products again.

I've since used Yakima racks and have found them less prone to failure.

mh

Reply to
meh1963