Weight Limit for Highlander Roof Rack

Does anyone know where I can find the weight limit for a 2004 Highlander factory installed roof rack? We already have a luggage box
up there and want to attach a kayak. A Yakima rack dealer told me that we would need to buy extra cross bars because our rack wouldn't support the weight. But the Thule Internet site doesn't seem to make that distinction (i.e. they say that "The Stacker" can be put on the rack without any problems).
We don't have a kayak yet because we want to get an idea of our extra expenses before purchasing.
Thanks in advance. Carol.
On Fri, 23 May 2008 07:54:07 -0700, CP wrote:

Soo you're adding a rack; the car doesn't already have one?
Consult the Owners Manual. They don't make them separate for cars with/ without roof racks. The specification should be there. I believe the limit is ~100 LBS, but have a look at the manual.

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain myself correctly. The car already has a factory installed rack. It looks like both Thule and Yakima both have accessories that you can attach to the roof rack for Kayaks. But Yakima says the Toyota factory roof rack can't hold the weight of the accessory plus two kayaks. Thule doesn't appear to have this limitation. So I just want to know how much the Toyota roof rack can support. I've looked in the manual but can only find information about the combined weight of passengers and luggage but nothing about the rack itself.
Other ideas? Thanks. Carol.

Logically, the weight limit is not a characteristic of the products you attach to the rack. Sounds like Yakima is being cautious. I wonder if that's based on feedback (maybe disastrous) from customers. Could be worth a call to the company.

Usually, Toyota puts a sticker somewhere inconspicuous on the factory roof rack to show the weight limit. The limit was 100 pounds on the last 20 or 30 Toyotas I've had with factory roof racks.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)