1999 Impreza roof rack

I am trying to remove the cross bars on the factory roof rack on my 1999 Subaru impreza wagon. I am attaching a Thule rack. I unscrewed all the screws I can find, but can't figure out how to get the bars off? I thought maybe sliding it off would work, but can't slide it off. Can't pull it off either by just unscrewing the screws. Any ideas???

Reply to
Emily Y via CarKB.com

On my 96 Legacy you lift them off. They are quite tight because they are sprung in. My problem is I can't get the screws out to fit the bars in because the screw sockets turn with the screws. Any ideas please? Gil

Reply to
Gil Cleeton

So you just pulled the cross bars straight up off the rails? And just yank it upwards as hard as possible?

I have no idea how you would get the screws out, maybe there is a special tool from a hardware store?

Reply to
E Youcha via CarKB.com

On my '99 Outback, when I installed a Yakima bike rack, I just left the crossbars on. They were not in the way. I WAS able to loosen some screws and slide the bars fore and aft. (for what it's worth.)

Reply to
l.lichtman

I stopped by the dealer today and they said the cross bars aren't meant to come off. I will try to just install the thule rack and hope the cross bars don't get in the way.

They make ski and bike racks for subura factory racks, but I already have the Thule ski/bike/bars and just needed the special towers, so didn't want to spend the money on new bike/ski rack.

Reply to
Emily Y via CarKB.com

After I bought my used '99 Outback, I stopped by the dealer and asked whether I had an interference engine. The guy at the service counter said, "Oh, they haven't made those in years." Turns out mine IS as interference engine, and it was past due for a timing belt change. If I had believed him, I could be in big trouble. My point is, just because he works for a dealer dosn't make him infallible. I'm not saying he IS wrong, but he could be.

Reply to
l.lichtman