SATURN BUYBACK

Just got a letter from saturn saying that they want to buy back my 2001 lw300 at above market trade-in. It went on to say that they want my car to honor some committment on previously owned vehicles. It makes it seem that I am doing them a big favor... and the timing is that I have two payments left.

Anybody have information on this? Seems like a huge marketing scam. They want my lw300 so badly, give me an even trade for a vue.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

I have a friend who got one of these letters. She visited her retailer to check it out, and the deal wasn't very favorable (like you'd think it to be by reading the letter).

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

This is a sleazy dealer advertising come-on. Bottom line is that they want to sell you a car and for you to pay as much as possible for the privilege. If you think they need 2001 lw300s to honor a commitment, you are half way there.

Go in and offer your car at above market trade-in (which is still pretty low) and tell them you don't need a replacement vehicle. Let us know how it goes.

Reply to
satyr

===================

LOL - I like your response. I enjoy the satisfaction of helping someone that's in a bind but a patsy, I'm not. With only two car payments left, I have no intention of jumping back in for a few more years at least.

The '01 lw300 has 87K miles on it and is running nicely. My biggest expense coming up is doing the timing belt. I'm going to see if I can either borrow or fabricate the required alignment tool. sort of awesome how many pulleys are driven by the timing belt. From what I've seen there are no old school timing marks so a tool is required to line everything up.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Yes this would be a good test indeed.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I say change it now. You need the J42069 kit. Same kit used on the Catera. While you're there change your waterpump just like you would a Honda v6. Doesnt hurt to replace the belt tensioners and idler pulleys and inspect the other pulleys for wear.

Here's the only site I could find the kit listed on.

$1000 bucks later...a timing chain is looking mighty good now aint it?

Reply to
BläBlä

A friend that ownd a service shop said that I might be able to borrow the alignment tool.

Where did you get the info that the 3L catera engine uses the same tool? Just curious.

Reply to
Oppie

Ah I got a letter saying there was a high demand for older saturns by the public, and the dealer NEEDED mine to meet it. However, they would only accept it as a trade-in for a new Saturn. :)

I only briefly read over the letter, since I wasn't wearing any boots. :) If you are really interested, ask about it, but only if you really want another Saturn.

imho,

tom @

Tom The Great

I have gotten these letter about my truck. It was on the purchase of a new one too!

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

What does a L300, Catera, Vectra, and Omega have in common? All have the Vauxhall/Opel 3.0L knuckle busting engines... In Europe the 3.0 v6 is called the Ecotec just like the 4 banger.=20 Thankfully the 4cyl Ecotec got a timing chain before it was marketed=20 here. In Europe it still has a timing belt.

See simularities

GM uses a variation of this engine in Saabs. I think Holden uses a Opel=20

3.0's as well... For being a 54 degree engine it sure as hell didnt=20 create any room under the hood.=20
Reply to
BläBlä

Because they are better, more cost effective cars.

IMHO a good low mileage manual trans S1 is a great value today and they are in the sweet spot of the used car market cycle. Old enough to have been almost fully depreciated but still young enough to have lots of use left in them.

Reply to
Private

What does a L300, Catera, Vectra, and Omega have in common? All have the Vauxhall/Opel 3.0L knuckle busting engines... In Europe the 3.0 v6 is called the Ecotec just like the 4 banger. Thankfully the 4cyl Ecotec got a timing chain before it was marketed here. In Europe it still has a timing belt.

See simularities

GM uses a variation of this engine in Saabs. I think Holden uses a Opel

3.0's as well... For being a 54 degree engine it sure as hell didnt create any room under the hood.

=====================

Thanks for that information. It is a pretty looking package but I'm having second thoughts about doing the timing belt myself. I've done major engine work on other cars but this is almost scary to work on.

Reply to
Oppie

Bingo

Reply to
Private

I know what you mean. I'm sure you can handle it. There are rough spots to work through of course. You might ask around saturnfans for pointers... I thought of something that might be a good idea. Buy the kit and rent it out for 20-50 bucks for upto 10 days use with a 500 buck deposit (in case someone never returns it). All you have to do is visit forums and let people know you have it and shipping shouldnt be more than 10 bucks each way. (autozone and advance dont have such tools as loaners.)

You have a factory manual right? Compair this info to the book you have

me know what you think.

Reply to
BläBlä