Saturn - No different

I have had some bad experiences with a brand smacking new 2004 Saturn ION 2 that I thought I should share with everyone. I thought I bought an inexpensive car, but I think I have bought a CHEAP car. The dealer is Budd's Saturn of Mississauga (Ontario). Don't even go there. They are terrible.

  1. Centre console is plastic from the dollar store.
  2. Centre console vibrates. It is really annoying.
  3. All four doors rattle.
  4. Jerky transmission.
  5. Front indicator bulbs and its units are defective and burn within few days of purchase. Had both sides replaced.
  6. Engine noise is deafening.
  7. Front passenger side seat squeaks.

Want some more bad news? The dealer has not been successful in solving any of the above issues excepting the bulbs.

Here are some of the answers I get when I talk to the service manager about the above problems:

  1. 90% of the car is plastic. There is nothing we can do.
  2. The transmission will smoothen out after a few thousand KMs.
  3. The bulb thing is a known problem
  4. All noises are "innate" qualities of your car. So, live with it.
  5. Engine noise is typical of a saturn. Nothing we can do

NOW IS THAT ENOUGH FOR YOU NOT TO BUY A SATURN? I SURE AS HECK THINK SO!! DON'T YOU? DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR, PAY THAT EXTRA BUCK AND GET YOURSELF A JAPANESE CAR.

Reply to
Arkal

I can understand that you don't like the car. However, this begs the question, why did you buy the car in the first place. I assume you test drove the car. If so, why didn't you notice the cheap plastic trim, the vibrating console, the noisy engine, and the jerky transmission? I'll did not include the bulbs, squeaky seat, or door rattles - I assume they developed after you pruchased the car.

I am all to familar with buyers remorse. I still think the Mazda dealer drugged me and forged my name on the bill of sale for a 626 I bought in the 80's.....However, I moved on to bigger and better things (mostly non-imports).

If you don't like the car, sell it and move on. At least some of your issues are not going away (engine noise and cheap plastic parts), but I think they were there when you bought the car and for whatever reason, you didn't object to them - at least not at the time of purchase. If they were such big issues, you should not have purchased the car.

Ed

Arkal wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

I think that most (many?) Saturn dealers provide a 30-day full exchange policy. If this truly is "brand smacking new" then look into exchanging the lemon for another vehicle. I assume that the one you got is defective since you did not note these same "defects" with the same model you must have test driven before you purchased.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

That threw me, say spanking new, not smacking.

Buddy you want to see cheap? Try a kia.

What? You didnt look at the dash before you bought it?

Shim it then! Vibrations arent hard to fix.

Have dealer fix. They wont? Always others.

First I've ever heard anyone mention the transmission being jerky.

There is a fix for that.

Hint hint, Its a 4 BANGER! Its the same amount of noise you would hear from a Honda or Toyota! I've been in all 3!

Search google groups, there is a method to correct that. Just takes a little time and a little skill.

Well duh! you want them to fab up some sheet metal for you? Look on the sticker where it says "composite body".

It might if the computer learns your driving habits unless you are a lead foot.

Yup then they should have resistors wired in.

Next time get a six cylinder if you dont like 4 bangers.

And have the same issues plus more uppon those you listed. Nice of you though to want everyone in north america to put themselves out of their jobs. Like cutting our own throats. Very sensible.

Reply to
Blah blah

Back when Saturn really was a different kind of car company, they had a 30 day return policy on a new car. If you're still within that window, take it back for a full refund.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

Back when Saturn really was a different kind of car company, they had a 30 day return policy on a new car. If you're still within that window, take it back for a full refund.

That is now a 30 day exchange program, why didnt yoiu bring it back to exchange it for another ION?

re: the plastic dash - er-? and you thought it was.....? Did your salesman tell you it was anything else? Saturns have always had a plastic dash.

Did you also recieve any type of Lemon Law book? Do they do that in Canada like the US?

Try another dealership also, sounds like yours doesnt try hard enough. The seat squeaks are fixable as are the doors, nonetheless, if you are still within 30 days, exchange it, you may have to pay the difference for excessive mileage.

I am confused. I have never heard an ecotec that was "deafening" unless you either 1.) modified or damaged the intake or exhaust.

2.) are slamming the gas pedal to the floor when you drive.

If all is really such the case, you need to exchange your car within 30 days. Or go find another dealer. Sorry you had trouble, most IONS dont have this trouble sans the occasional bulbs or squeaky seats.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

I went and looked at the 2004 Ion 3, I commented to the salesman that the manual transmission feels as sloppy as my 94 SL1, he said it's a Getrag therefore far superior.

Am I to believe that a decade later they can't fix the sloppy as hell transmission? My Toyota pickup had a shorter throw!

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I think you hit on a couple of good points... I haven't driven a new manual box Honda however I have driven an older one with the cable setup like the Saturn and it's a lot nicer. Of course your Toyota is my fave setup with rear wheel drive and a single rod coming out of the box into the cab (and NO cables)...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Best thing to do is stand in front of the dealership with a big sign- telling everyone about your piece of junk. Don't get mad- get even!

Reply to
misterfact