My father thought something along the same lines. Just wanted a 2nd opinion. Thanks!

Reply to
Alana

#1) Don't pump the gas when starting. In almost ANY weather, your Saturn (or any other car made in the last 20 years), should start with your foot off the gas, period.

#2) If you do 'flood' the car, on Saturns (and all other GM cars?), you can hold the gas to the floor while cranking and it'll go into 'flood clear mode'. Then release the gas and try again.

#3) Poor starting performance on Saturns, especially in cold weather, is commonly due to a coolant temperature sensor, which goes bad a lot on these cars. This part costs only a few dollars and takes 15 minutes to replace on a cold engine. The total repair should be well under 100 dollars. It's neither complex nor does it require removing much - just lifting an air duct out of the way, disconnecting the wire, and removing the sensor.

BTW, if your car idles rather fast, or never seems to turn on the fan, or the temperature gauge doesn't go up much, then this sensor is most certainly bad.

4) Cleaning the throttle body and IAC can sometimes help starting/idle performance. But I'd check the above sensor first, they're very common replacements on Saturns.
Reply to
Philip Nasadowski