So,What's Replacing The Ion?

Saturn seems to be headed in the right direction.There are ,what?,4 new models coming out?.

Reply to
teem

What I heard was a metal bodied car kinda based off of cobalt to take Ion's place. A Chevy Saturn so to speak.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Link???? Please. because I've not heard that one. Because the Cobalt & ION are off the same platform already.

The ION is being "replaced" by the Astra - it is an Opel that has a redesigned nose and interior. Not related to the Cobalt at all.

Reply to
Kevin

I do not record every link I read. Besides at this point it is mostly roomers anyway. I have heard from several sources (including dealers) that plastic body with be gone and it would use mosre chevy parts. I guess we will know for sure when they start shipping them.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

yes, they are just rumors.

I have heard from several sources (including dealers)

The ION is dead, and its replacement will not use Chevy parts*, but will have steel body panels.

  • True, Every vehicle in the GM family uses GM part numbers, and I'm sure that there are parts that cross over between product lines - especially engine parts on the Ecotec, since it is in a vehicle in nearly every GM division.
Reply to
Kevin

Ok, school is in, listen up. I'm pretty sure that I posted this here somewhere ahwile ago, heres more 'bout it.

Saturn's European GM counterpart is Opel. Opel has previously designed the L series, the SKY (under Vauxhall, Opel's UK counterpart name) and now the Aura (known as Vectra in Europe). Opel has been producing the Astra, one of the most popular compact cars in Europe. The Astra is built in Belguim (voud you like a pancake and a waffle?) and will be now be exported to the US under the Saturn name later this year for the '08 model year.

The Astra surpasses basic euro-safety standards, however to pass even stricter US safety standards, the front and rear facias and bumpers must be redesigned, ergo the Saturn chrome stuff.

It will have a new 1.4L 140hp ecotec engine (est. 35 mpg/TBA) and come in either 3 door or 5 door hatchbacks. The streering will be rack and pinion, similar to Astra's. Prices are estimated to be in the range of ION.3 range from what I have read.

Heres some links, Google is your friend!

marx404

one more link, with great information:

marx404

Reply to
teem

Opel did have an accord with Buick in the '70's and they were real POS's, unreliable, rusty and most importantly - GM Buick, not Opel built (think Vega, the ol rustbuckets). It's a few decades later, Opel and Saturn are on top of their game now, no this is not the same Opel/Buick POS.

Reply to
marx404

BTW for those who are curious and to the OP, there is a lot of info about the history, direction going options available. photos, etc on nearly every car made in one place instead of poking around on Google. Believe it or not, Wikipedia has tons of info....I spent hours in there poking around, even looking up old cars that I used to own. (don't laugh but my first car was a '76 Ford Granada complete with 1 barrel carb....was a great car for a teen to learn in...not fast, straight 6 easy to learn to work on and decent size)

Just FYI....

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

Marx, every car made in the 70's (well after 72 anyway) was a POS. I hope you dont think Opel made anything back then that was worth bragging about. If american cars were bad, then imports were pure hell. Btw Vega was a chevy which used Opel transmissions for the first 2 years... Bout all I can find on its Opel parts content. I'm glad very few 70's vehicles are still around. Thats an era best scrapped.

Before 1973 these 70's cars are the only ones still be worth owning today IMO

XKE's Camaro's Corvette's Rare Challenger's and the Superbird's

Can't think of anything else worth while back then.

The 1980's is easier. Fiero and Delorean... Deloreans were way over priced tough.

Reply to
BläBlä

Is there an echo in here?

quote: "Opel did have an accord with Buick in the '70's and they were real POS's, unreliable, rusty and most importantly - GM Buick, not Opel built (think Vega, the ol rustbuckets). It's a few decades later, Opel and Saturn are on top of their game now, no this is not the same Opel/Buick POS."

Reply to
marx404