Squeaky when cold - water pump? Idler?

My wife's 92 SL1 makes a squeaky/squealy noise when it's cold (meaning, less than 20F) and the engine is above 2500 RPM or so. The noise goes away a couple minutes later when it starts to warm up. It's there whether the car is in park or drive.

The noise is similar to the classic "power steering at its limit" noise, but doesn't depend on the power steering position, and it's not as loud. I suspect that it might be the belt idler pully or the water pump, both of which are original on this car. Anyone have advice on which to fix first, or should I just wait until it gets worse? Or is it realistically time to replace both anyway, just to be safe?

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

If it goes away when it warms up I wouldn't worry much. You may want to try some belt dressing or tightening the belt - it is likely old & dry.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

There was a TSB for this in early S-Series cars and I had this occur on my

94 SC2. It was the idler pulley. Before replacing that though, make sure your belt is in good shape and your tensioner is doing its job.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

Agree on idler pulley. About $20 at the dealer.

Reply to
brane_ded