Burnt Buns

Actually just the left cheek.

I have a 2000 L-series wagon with a V6 and 55k on the odo.

The driver's side leather seat has become painfully hot where my left bun touches it. This evening, I smelled something burning and it was me! The heater in the seat has developed a hot spot that is so severe that the leather now has something that looks like a cigarette burn in it and my pants have a spot that matches.

I can't wait to see how the dealer, Saturn or the aftermarket extended warranty company will handle this. I think if I got out and left the car running with the seat heater on, the seat would catch fire and take the car with it....

Is this a recall thing?

The only way to solve it is to replace or reupholster the seat and install a new heating element in it.

Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem before?

Toasty in Pennsylvania, Eric

Reply to
Eric Halpern

Sorry for the trouble but glad that it's only a burn hole. Please let us know what the dealer has to say on this.

The heating element has some flex to it but if the driver is prone to falling into the seat rather than easing into it, may be possible for the heat element to stretch beyond normal and fatigue. This stretched area is more prone to overheat from the higher localized resistance (smaller cross-sectional area). Another possibility is that the heater is pinched between the seat and one of the structural supports

Oppie.

Reply to
Oppie

Another possibility is that the driver is a f***ss. Are you a f***ss Eric? And don't tell us you are big boned.

Reply to
Tenzo
5'10", 205lbs - f***ss ??? You tell me !

My weight has only changed 5lbs in 10 years. Eight years ago cycled 3500 miles per year on my beloved 12 speed. I think my ass is normal... and the seat was assembled poorly.

Reply to
Eric Halpern

I've never had heated seats however I'd think they should NOT burn your butt regardless of weight (within reason).

I'm the same weight at 5'11" - used to be 165 for years and then over the course of a few years I 'Blossomed' - however my ass is not fat, it's mostly my torso (and some say my head). I refuse to make any link between Ben & Jerry's, Guinness and Prime Rib (not in that order) and my 30% body fat situation. Although there might be something with the consumption of Mrs. See's chocolate's, however I'll take no personal responsibility...

...liked your response and had to add some flippancy to the thread. Let us know if you get some new info about the seat.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

yeah, you would be considered fat. You should drop at least 30 pounds. so, yes, you are a f***ss.

Hey, you asked my opinion. Perhaps you should spend more time walking than warming your buns on the seat.

Reply to
Tenzo

Tenzo - are you single, do you have small children, do you travel much for business? Do be so judgmental until you walk in my shoes........

Reply to
Eric Halpern

brutal

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

A wise man said: " Never criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes; for then you are a mile away, and have his shoes."

Listen f***ss, if you don't want me to call you f***ss then don't ASK me if you are a f***ss. geeez

Reply to
Tenzo

Apparently, only Eric's left bun is large...

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

pounds.

Not that simple. BMI measurement would be more revealing. There are plenty of pro football players that are the same size as Eric. T.J. Duckett (Atlanta Falcons) is 6'0" and weighs 254 pounds. He's no f***ss.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart