Starter bolt

Hi,

I'm replacing the starter on a '96 SL2. The top bolt is rather rounded off. Anyone dealt with this problem before?

Thanks,

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Can you turn it with a wrench anyway? If so, do so. If not, use a vise-grip pliers. Either way, replace it with a new bolt once you get it out.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Regular wrench slips, no room for vice-grips.

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Pipe wrench?

Reply to
Doug Miller

You will want a "bolt extractor" Kinda like a external easyout.

BläBlä

If he doesn't have room to get a vice-grip pliers in there, I doubt very much that he has room for an easy-out -- let alone the drill that's needed first.

Reply to
Doug Miller

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Bl=E4Bl=E4?=

I didnt say "easy out", I said "bolt extractor". Its just like using a socket.

Reply to
BläBlä

Maybe you ought to be a little more specific, then -- the link you provided shows a whole boatload of easy-outs...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Barely room for my hand and a 10mm, let alone a pipe wrench. I've been doing most of my own work on cars, trucks, motorcycles, tractors, etc. for about 30 years now. I long for the day of the rear wheel drive!

Thanks anyway for your input.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

"BläBlä" > You will want a "bolt extractor"

Went to the local tool store and bought a nice set of Irwin bolt extractors. It managed to rip a big chunk of the bolt head off. At that point I got a small grinder in there (after removing a bunch of small braces and tabs) and managed to grind the bolt head off. Tomorrow I'll see about getting the rest out. At least there's more room to work on it! ;+)

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

The rest of the bolt came out using my fingers. Car is back together and running. Thanks for the replies.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart