steering wheel way crooked

I coasted into a parkling spot yesterday with the engine off. I turned the wheel hard and heard a noise. Now the steering wheel is off about

120 degrees. The car drives straight and turns fine. What could be the problem? The u joints look ok. The shafts look ok, no evedence of striping. Could it be something inside the rack and pinion or inside the steeing column?

Tony

Reply to
Tony

turned

Update: The rack and pinion seem alright, the notch in the shaft is on the right side when wheels are straight. It's between the steering wheel and the pinion. Did I strip the spline one the wheel?

Reply to
Tony

inside

Well this morning( 5 deg F outside) I took out the u-joint shaft, it's ok. Ill try tightening up the nut on the r&p preload.

Reply to
Tony

Bad day in Tonydom. I think the pinion is stripped. I am beginning to dislike Saturns again. 97 SW1 160K

Reply to
Tony