Stick Shift Broke

I have a 95 SL1 5-speed manual. Bought it new in 95 and until tonight about the biggest problem I have ever had with it was a bad motor in my drivers window.

Tonight though that changed. I was backing out of my driveway, when I was out in the street I went to shift into first and I am not really sure what happened. The shifter started flopping around like it disengaged from the transmission and the car remained stuck in reverse.

I am guessing that what ever part connects the shift handle to the transmission must have broke. Does anyone know if that is possible or have any other idea what may have happened? Any ideas on how long this type of fix takes and at what cost?

I know that it is not the clutch, that is still fine and I can still drive the car, but only in reverse. Even if it were the clutch I could float the gears if I had to.

I am supposed to be going out of town this Sunday and not having a car will put a real damper on my vacation plans.

Thanks for any ideas yall may have.

Mark.

Reply to
Zaphod

tonight about

The shifter is connected to the transmission by 2 cables. 1 of the cables may have become disconnected or broke. Relatively easy to see where they hook onto the transmission.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Look between the transmission and firewall on the drivers side, you will see the cables. A little bit back from where they attach to the transmission itself is a cable holder on the case of the transmission. A little clip that looks like a horseshoe goes into the holder and keeps the cable from moving. I had one of the clips fall out and it left me with only 3-4-5 & R and I had to drive the car home like that. Try looking there.

Reply to
BANDIT2941