Strange starting problem

Hello all,

I own a 95 Saturn SC2 and I've recently noticed a problem. When I start the car it will sometimes appear that the battery is dead and the starter will turn over very slowly. Usually, if i let it crank very slowly for a few seconds it will eventually start. Other times it will start up just fine; no noticeable problems.

It's obvious that the battery has no charge (and I did have to jump it once) during the slow starting cycles. I can't find a pattern to it. For instance.. It will have problems starting in the morning when I leave for work and start fine that afternoon when I leave the office to head home. Sometimes it's just the opposite.

I've cleaned the battery contacts, made sure everything seemed tight, etc. The alternator is less than 3 years old (the previous alternator died of bad bearings) and the Saturn dealership replaced the battery with a new AC Delco battery at the same time. Once the car is running I don't notice a problem with dim lights or anything else suspicious.

I don't want to buy a new battery if there's no need to and I don't see how it could be a bad battery if it's only happening every third or fourth start. I also don't want to dump tons of money into finding out what is wrong with the electrical system. Any suggestions or experience in similar problems would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Geoffeg

Reply to
Geoffrey Gallaway

I had a 93 SL1, and I had a very similar problem, the car would have a hard time starting sometimes, but other times there was no problem at all. It was the battery ground, where it connects to the body. Since I work at a shop that sells car audio, I just ran a new piece of 8 gauge ground cable to a another bolt on the body, and never had the problem after that.

Hope it helps!

Reply to
Logan Parker

Check the battery cable connectors. Remove them and use a wire brush to clean them up also cleaning up the battery post as well. While you are looking at the connector, make sure the wire itself is not corroded inside the insulation where it connects to the connector. If all connections look good at the battery, check the terminals at the starter and on the engine ground. They also may need to be removed and wire brushed to make good contact.

Once you have validated all connections are clean and make good contact, then you can eliminate this as being the source of your problem (10:1 this is the reason you are having trouble).

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Bob, Where does one find the starter terminals? Under the hood or under the car?

Frank

Reply to
Frank

I'm not exactly sure on your vehicle. Follow the thick cable from the battery to alternator to starter. There will be another cable for the solenoid as well. Make sure you disconnect the battery before you try to remove these cables so you don't cause a high amperage short.

Good luck!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman