SW2 alarm

What public information is there about what sets off the 1998 SW2's alarm and how the owner is meant to cancel it? I don't normally carry the keyless entry fob because I find it too easy to press the panic button accidentally. So, this morning, I tried opening the car with the regular key - admittedly, I couldn't remember which way to turn it, so I turned it one way then the other, then as I opened the door the alarm went off, and I had to go back to the house to retrieve the fob and bring it close enough that the panic button would turn the alarm back off.

With it being 6.30am near lots of other apartments I didn't want to waste time trying other ways to turn the alarm off before going back for the fob. Does anyone have any idea how I managed to set the alarm going in the first place? If you have the correct car key, but not the fob, is there a good way of turning the alarm back off?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

I can't answer your question, but I'll share with you what I did. I opened up the remote and put a piece of tape over the electrical contacts underneath the panic button. Now, I can't accidentally press it and set off the alarm. Maybe that will work for you.

Reply to
Ratbert

Heh - I suppose I could do that for one of the fobs, and keep the other in the car to use when I manage to set off the alarm accidentally again by opening the car with the key! (-:

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

Can't you turn the alarm off by pressing the "lock" (or is it "unlock?") button on the remote? In any case, I've never had the alarm go off on me and not been able to shut it off, even after taping the button. I certainly wouldn't leave the spare fob in the car, though.

Reply to
Ratbert

In article , Ratbert wrote: (snip)

I've no idea. I'll try to remember to give that a try next time I manage to set it off accidentally.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll