Vibration

Hello,

I just had a new oil pan installed on my 1996 Saturn SC2. The drain in my old one was stripped, so I was using rubber plugs, which I don't like, so I had a new pan installed. Anyway, when I got my car back, it vibrates like crazy now, especially when I am still, like at a traffic light, or in a drive-thru. It also seems like it has lost power. What could have caused this change, and what can I do to correct it? I wouldn't think a new oil pan could cause this.

Thanks! You guys are the best.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

I doubt very much that this problem is the oil pan itself. More likely the mechanic took something else off to get access and then forgot to reconnect. Another remote possibility is the mechanic disconnected the battery and the computer needs to re-learn the engine. If it does not get better in a day or two I'd take it back and ask whoever did the work to check it out and see if there is a vacuum hose or electrical connector they did not get back in place properly.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
Matt hotmail

I would say it is a motor mount. They have to let this go in order to jack up the motor to get the old oil pan back out. Maybe they never tightened up enough. This would cause the motor to shake and this would cause the car to shake, especiallt at idle. The mirrors would shake. Let me know if this is the problem.

Reply to
Shawn

I'd guess motor mount, too.

Even if the mechanic caused the problem by not tightening after the pan replacement, it's probably time to change it anyway. 8 years is about as long as they'll last.

Do you think you could split the difference with the mechanic?

Reply to
Barry Schnoor