Vue peeve

Hi people,

I bought my 2003 Vue in August. It's been great. No problems at all.

Except the horn. Y'know, I work out with weights regularly and keep myself in shape. Why, then, do I feel like a wimp when I try to beep the horn?! There's no such thing as a gentle "beep" with my horn. God, no. It's either entirely mute, or a "MOVEYERDAMNEDASSOUTAMYWAY" and gets worse from there. Of course, I have to pretty much put my full body weight into the thing to get it to make any noise at all.

I've searched high and low for the sweet-spot. It's not the Saturn logo. It's not the engraved horns. I can't find it elsewhere in that area! I feel like I'm trying to type a paper with a pillow over my keyboard!

Someone please tell me my Vue is a mutant (or just sick) and needs to be looked at. I've read others have Vue horn issues, so I'm afraid I'm not alone on this.

Suggestions are welcomed. 'Scuse the profanity above; it really does sound like that, though.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Talley

I don't think your VUE is a mutant, my 2003 VUE has the exact same issue. I've had my car for about 9 months now, and just over Thanksgiving used the horn for the first time (I really don't use the horn all that much).

Someone was swerving into my lane on the freeway, clearly, not seeing me. I tried to push the horn twice to give a couple of warning beeps but nothing came out. I ended up breaking and hitting the horn thinking, "Crap, I've got to start working out to push the damn horn..."

Heh.

Reply to
Mike McNaughton

Same thing here

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

This is really a problem with lots of cars since air bags. My Honda Odyssey has a horn you can actually beep, but our Saturn SL1 and my old Plymouth van both had horns you had to hunt for and then press with all your might. Sounds like the Vue might be a hair worse than most, though.

Reply to
Dan Hicks

Same problem here, too. I tend to drive with one thumb on one of the horn logos on the wheel, just in case it's needed. If I don't have that thumb there as a guide, I won't hit the right spot if I suddenly need to hit the horn in a hurry.

It's not unique to the VUE, most cars with airbags >Same thing here

Reply to
cathy

Reply to
Teem

My 95 SC2 works great as it has 2 buttons under/next to the airbag that act normal...... Problem with that is I would guess some people would go straight for the middle of the wheel instead of the buttons.......

A problem with the new setup is that in the case of an accident where the airbag does deploy, one's hand is right on top of it, instead of under it in the case it would be with my 95 SC2's setup.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

This does not inspire confidence....

I like to do the same thing. I guess I need to practice more on exactly where to push.

I can accept that. I would much rather have buttons off to the side away from the airbag that a mere mortal human could press.

Frankly, I'm not enamoured of the idea of pushing hard on the horn just prior to a crash only to have my hand propelled into my face care of the air bag being deployed. Gee whiz, what a clever design!

Everything has its foibles, I suppose.

Reply to
Brian Talley

Actually, same deal on my 2003 ION. Dealer just had to order me a replacement because I broke the damn thing trying to press "the right spot". Saw another post suggesting the spot is just *above* the horn symbols (go figure).

-e

Reply to
NoSetFine