What Could This Be? What Is The Solution

Have 2000 SL2. About two weeks ago, I started car, and it only idled at about 200 RPM before conking out in about 5 seconds. Subsequent putting foot on accelerator kept the engine running, but as soon as I took foot off the gas pedaL, it stalled again. I was able to run the car on the parkway and then put in can of dry gas. Car ran all right until last night when it did the same thing again.

George

Reply to
George

First thing that comes to mind is is cleaning out the throttle body, pcv valve and perhaps getting some gas additive from Saturn (BG brand) that will clean all the leftover deposits from your engine. Does your Service Engine light stay on after the car is running? If so, best to get the car diagnosed by a mechanic.

marx404 www.saturnofstuart

Reply to
marx404

My money is on the throttle body needing cleaning.

Reply to
Steve

Check the coolant temp sensor for a crack.

It is mounted on the side of the engine pointing towards the battery, below the upper radiator hose. You will need to unplug the wire connection by squeezing two opposite sides of the connector head. A deep 13mm socket will fit the sensor. You will lose about a pint of coolant when the sensor is removed. AutoZone sells a cheap plastic sensor similar to the earliest Saturn design. I prefer the new replacement Saturn sensor with a brass tip. It will last much longer.

Dave

Reply to
Dave