1998 Honda Accord problem starting but eventually starts

Yesterday my 1998 Honda Accord kept turning over but wouldn't start. It sat for 3 days idle. I kept turning the engine over for what seemed to be at least

2 minutes and then the engine slowly hesitated and eventually started but I had to keep the ignition switch in the start location. It was very rough idle at first and when I hit the gas it hesitated a lot and almost stalled. Eventually it got better as it idled longer. It would still hesitate when I hit the gas but it idled OK. Once or twice I was able to get the revs up and I ran it at about 4500rpm for several seconds. The hesitation upon hitting the gas subsided soon after rev'ing it at high revs however, I noticed the engine would only rev up to about 4500rpm and not even get close to the red line. The rev limiter shouldn't be set that low, should it? Is something else wrong? I shut the car off and it started right back up yesterday morning. It also had NO problem starting up again in the late afternoon after sitting for 8+ hours. I thought maybe moisture in the gas so I added a bottle of gas treatment last night. But then this morning the car had the same issue as yesterday morning, it wouldn't start until I turned over the engine for what seemed to be another few minutes. I turned it over so long I thought the battery would soon die. But it eventually started. No hesitation today when hitting the gas pedal. Could this be the main relay, coil or rotor. The car idling this morning didn't sound right but the revs were steady (maybe a little low) and it doesn't stall once started (yet). Once started the car doesn't seem to have a reduced power sensation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Pete.
Reply to
phb3

phb3 wrote:

[...]

when did you last change the plugs? are they ngk?

Reply to
jim beam

for 3 days idle. I kept turning the engine over for what seemed to be at least

2 minutes and then the engine slowly hesitated and eventually started Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Pete.

You've got one LEAKY INJECTOR and it's flooding your engine when you leave it sit for a day or more. The way you can prove it is to use the Owner's Manual solution for 'flooded engine'. Next time it happens, hold the pedal to the floor and crank it for up to 15 seconds at a time.

The cure is to run a can of Techron injector cleaner thru it, or maybe a few tanks of gasohol. Gasohol worked for my Odyssey (same engine). I run a tank of Gasohol thru it a few times a year now just to be sure.

P.S. Always mention your mileage.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'