Wheel replacement question

Hi all,

My daughter has a '94 SL2 with the original cast aluminum wheels and wide (not original, but still have lots of tread left) tires that go on them. She's sick of the shit traction in snow/rain and the wheels are not looking very good anymore. She wants to go to less wide tires and steel rims.

Other than buying better and costly tires, what size steel wheel and tire combination might work with a '94 SL2?

Thanks for any input.

Rick

Reply to
dorkus.erectus

The stock tires on my car were 195/60 with 15" rims. There was a 14" rim available at the same time, but that wasn't the cast wheel.

Warren (hey...looks like you're in KC too...)

Reply to
Warren

If the original tire size is 195/60R15, the overall diameter is 195 divided by 25.4 times 0.60 times 2 plus 15 = 24.2 inches. The tire size of

185/70R14 has the same overall diameter. The steel wheel size needs to be confirmed, but it probably has a four-lug x 100 mm diameter pattern. I strongly recommend that you have the tires and wheels installed in the same shop as you purchase them, to avoid possible problems. The Saturn wheels seem to have center holes with a slightly larger diameter than those of other cars, though they might all have the four-lug x 100 mm pattern. Please make sure that the wheels are labelled for Saturn use before you buy them.
Reply to
KSC