Wheel spacing ?

What is the backspacing on a stock 95 YJ, I know they are 7"x15", looking to get new wheels,8", and they have them in 3.25 and 4.5 backspacing. Looking online it looks like stock might 5.25, is that correct? If so does that mean the new rims with 4.5 BS, will stick out 3/4" plus 1" because of rim size? That sounds good but if that's right I sure wouldn't want the 3.25 which would be a total of 3". Can someone clear this up for me, need to order and I'm not sure which ones, or what is on there now.

Reply to
Greg

Ok, at this stage, after ten years of modifying it over and over I'm so far beyond stock wheels on my '94 YJ that my input may be totaly useless. However, I remember having the same question myself a long time ago.

My '94 came with the 7" steel wheels, which, as I recall had 4 3/4" of backspacing, somewhat like a front wheel drive car. Back in '95 when I did the first mods to it I installed 8" wide Mickey Thompson Classics, which had

4 1/2" backspacing. As I recall no one in the aftermarket made a YJ replacement wheel that was identical to the jeep spec, and most of the less expensive ones were only about 3 1/2", which is why you see so many funny looking Jeeps running around with aftermarket wheels and skinny tires that stick out of the fender flares. I picked the expensive Thompsons because the backspacing was the closest to stock. (I'm fairly sure their newer, less expensive but excellent Classic II is the same spec.)

FYI, the old Jeep "Gambler" style 8" wheels, which came stock on the YJ Renegade model, and on early TJs with the 30" tire option, have the correct backspacing. Inded, any of the stock Jeep 8" rims will work for you and have the right spacing. One thing to keep in mind, however, larger tires on these wheels will rub the springs or lower control arms at full lock.

Hope this helps!

Reply to
SoK66

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I have 5 1/8 of back spacing on my YJ 15x7 stock Aluminum rims. Hope this helps.

A.B. ShortWheelbase.com

Greg wrote:

Reply to
A.B.

I'm fairly sure A.B.'s correct on that spec (I knew it was soemthing like 4

3/4"s or 5", fairly extreme). Not sure anyone in the aftermarket makes anything to that spec, but a wheel with 4 1/2 - 4 3/4" will work fine.
Reply to
SoK66

Thanks, you said 4 3/4 another guy ( A.B. ) said 5 1/8, only sight I found in my hunt on google said 5 1/4, those are all close enough for me to go with the 4 1/2 ones, I think I said I only have choice of 4 1/2 or 3 1/2, and given that the rim is 1" bigger and tires 2" bigger, don't want it to stick out too far, but that 1/2" would give it some clearance from springs and such. Funny we live on the west coast of Canada, have to get 2 ferries to get here, but the DOT has decided this is were it needs to come for Xmas, think they have pulled over every vehicle that even looks like it is modified. Anyway thanks again to all that answered, I may not of been clear at the beggining as to what I was asking.

Reply to
Greg

Keep them there :) lol

Snow..."season greetings from just a little left of Toronto."

Reply to
Snow

Don't know how long they are staying, been here a week, but will deffinatley let them know you are inviting them for Xmas.

Reply to
Greg