why not use handsfree cells when driving?

This is a bit O/T, but I thought Saturn drivers are an intelligent crowd, so here goes:

I have a cell phone and always use a handsfree device or a headset especially when driving. I cannot for the life of me understand why, when they only cost around $10. or slightly more; ppl drive around with one hand up to their head, blocking their vision and disabling that hand while driving, when it is very simple to use a handsfree cradle or a headset?

Is it a vanity issue of appearing to be seen talking to oneself? Then why doesn't this rule apply when singing along to the radio? Vanity isn't an issue when giving someone the finger or cutting them off, so how do cell phones suddenly change this rule? Hmm, I can be an a**hole in public behind the wheel, but God forbid anyone see me talking to my dashboard! I almost get ananeurysm just thinking about the logic behind that.

Cellular stores sell these as expensive items, but anyone can buy one of these at any K-Mart or WallyMart for around $10. to $20. dollars if they look. I have a wonderful speakerphone/charger combo for my Nokia that I bought at WallyMart. The sound quality is great! I also have an earpiece mic combo for my Motorola that I clip to my seatbelt.

Is it that ppl just don't know about handsfree devices? or that they are just too lazy to be bothered? or that they think that they look cool with their elbow in their face? I just don't get it, please help me to understand this.

I have gotten so peeved when I see ppl who let alone probably cannot chew gum and walk at the same time and are so involved trying to manage a cell phone and a moving vehicle at the same time that I have almost thought of doing this idea: Going to the Dollar Store and buying a few $1. cell phone earpiece/ mic sets (yes! you can buy them there!) and honking at ppl who are too busy yappin instead of driving. When they put their window down, I'd throw the headset into their car and yell "You need one of these!".

Somebody please tell me what I'm missing so that when one of these bozos makes a right- turn into my fender or runs me off the sidewalk because they are distracted, I can then empathise with thier situation. :-)

(to quote the comedian Lewis Black "I am confuuuused".)

Oh, btw - I just saw advertised some new cigarette-lighter powered appliances: toasters and pizza makers. I wonder what behaviour THAT will bring out if it ever catches on.

Reply to
mjh404

mjh404:

Nice rant...I enjoyed it!! I agree with it too.

Using a headset is law where I live - first in North America, I believe. A lot of people still don't use them however. My main motivation in using mine (aside from the risk of $150 tickets) is purely for comfort reasons. It's just easier. Mine cost about $60 CDN though (which I think is worth about $1.87 US), not the 10 or 20 bux you quoted. I have tried the cheaper ones and I don't think they are worth it. Just my opinion.

Regarding the vanity issue - it's no problem for me. I actively talk to myself now anyway! :-)

I saw a gut the otherday attempting to talk on a cell, drive a standard, and eat an ice cream cone - all at the same time!! It was real fun to watch!!

Cheers!

Glomis

Reply to
Glomis

I don't get it either and I agree the headsets are pretty easy. I haven't used a speaker phone adapter. The new Toyota Prius has Bluetooth built in and my Sony-Ericsson phone would be compatible.

The ads for GM OnStar look like you can have built in speaker phone on GM products - I like that too.

I am coming to the conclusion we are all trying to do too much, too much of the time. When we're driving, lets drive. When we're talking, let's wait till we get someplace where we can stop and have a decent, coherent conversation. Exceptions are fine, but I prefer to minimize them instead of making them the rule.

Of course if you're a teenager with a car you like, and maybe have personalized, I'm sure there's a coolness factor for having the phone glued to the side of your head. (grin)

Thanks for the digression.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

I believe there have been studies that show that a handsfree system doesn't really reduce driver distraction that much - it eliminates the physical distraction from holding the phone, but not the mental distraction of conversing with someone not in the vehicle who can't see what the driving situation is..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

I've got OnStar on my '03 VUE. The cell phone system the service uses is incorporated into the rear-view mirror, totally hands free.

Reply to
Bill Kirkpatrick

Most of it is pure laziness I'm sure. In Calif, at least, handsfree devices come with new cell phones. Most people I'm sure misplace those items.....handy as they are. I like em and I think they make good sense.

Reply to
Larry

Statistically, it doesn't matter as far as accidents go - it's the conversation which is the problem (focusing on something other than driving), not whether the cell phone was connected to a hands-free kit or not.

Functionally, the handsfree device is definitely easier to use

Reply to
David & Caroline

Reply to
Dan Hicks

Unless of course it's called "OnStar" and you're paying for it... THEN they don't complain so much, I guess. :-/

k. sorry. opinion plunker. BUT! Since you asked, I think cell phones are simply an evolutionary boost to more readily identify drivers who shouldn't really be driving anyway, but are clever enough to avoid detection if they don't try to do more than one thing at a time. Like gas AND steering, for example.

-e

Reply to
NoSetFine