Winter and the Ion

I live in Toronto where it frequently drops below 0 degrees fahrenheit. I am considering getting a 2005 Ion2. I would appreciate any and all feedback as to whether there any problems starting an Ion in such temperatures. I own a 2001 SL2 and never have had a problem

Reply to
bosco took

single digits fahrenheit and mine started right up. (I'ts an '03 w/ 10,000 miles on it.) Once I got the door open, that is. (It was frozen.)

I'd really like to see an Ion 3 with seat warmers. They're cheap enough to build in, and ghod knows we have the weather conditions for it in large swaths of North America. Equip the Ion 3 in cold weather states and provinces with a "cold weather package" consisting of heated seats, heated mirrors, and heated windshield washer nozzles. It'd be kinda nice to see Saturn be the first to bring that kind of thing to that market segment.

Bill

Reply to
Biker Geek

This is one reason I'm glad I own a 4 door car now. I got 4 chances, instead of 2 in the past, of finding a door that I can actually yank open!

Reply to
Blah blah

Maybe. If neither of the front ones with the keylock works, and you don't have remote keyless entry, you're still hosed.

On that same trip, I tried to use a drive-through ATM, and found taht my driver's side window was frozen shut.

There's also the possibility of entry through the trunk on the Ions, since the seatbacks release from within the trunk rather than from within the passenger compartment.

Reply to
Biker Geek

I live in Southern California and I miss the seat warmers in my L300 already. What I thought would be a useless option (seat warmers) turned out to be one of my favorite features. I don't have far to go to work and it never gets that cold, but when it's 50 degrees the seat warmer is welcome.

--

10 things men know about women: 1)?2)?3)?4)?5)?6)?7)?8)?9)?10) women have breasts
Reply to

Just out of curiosity, where in Toronto do you live? I grew up in Willowdale (North York).

--

10 things men know about women: 1)?2)?3)?4)?5)?6)?7)?8)?9)?10) women have breasts
Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks

Got a 2003 ION 3 Automatic here in Ottawa. Just started its second winter. This car is not garaged: it stays in the driveway, so...

The first winter I found that when the overnight temp dropped to below -30 C and the car was driven at this temperature (say, at 7:00 am):

- the ABS doesn't work

- the horn doesn't work

- the driving lights don't switch on (the button to the left of the steering column) until the engine compartment warmed up.

Also, driving down the road, the transmission upshifts, get to a sharp bend in the road (90 degrees), take foot off gas pedal to slow down, steer around the corner, the car downshifts thus applying more torque, and if the corner is icey the car suddenly spins if you're not wary!

I reported this each time the car was in for service: the dealer wouldn't do anything because no one else had reported such problems. I had to insist my complaint was written on the work order.

I don't think these cars are intended to be driven north of the state where they are made. Also I don't think that the Saturn service in my area is any good.

Reply to
Chris Seal

Rev.....I live in Willowdale :-)

Reply to
bosco took

pan, place a layer of gravy, then one of meat, gravy, and cheese. Another layer each of meat, gravy, and cheese. Then bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Serve on hot pasta with romano cheese.

Southern Fried Small-fry

Tastes like fried chicken, which works just as well. In fact you may want to practice cutting up whole chickens for frying before you go for the real thing. Whole chicken is much more efficient and inexpensive than buying pieces.

1 tiny human, cut into pieces 2 cups flour Onion, garlic Salt pepper garlic powder cayenne pepper hot sauce, etc. Oil for frying

Mix milk, eggs, hot sauce in a bowl, add chopped onion and garlic. Season the meat liberally, and marinate for several hours. Place seasoned flour in a paper or plastic shopping bag, drop pieces in a few a time, shake to coat thoroughly, then deep fry in hot oil (350°) for about 15 minutes. Drain and place on paper towels.

Miscarriage with Mustard Greens

Why waste it? Otherwise, and in general, use ham or salt pork to season greens. The technique of smothering greens can be used with many vegetables; green beans work especially well. Meat is not necessary every day, don?t be afraid to alter any dish to vegetarian tastes.

1 premature baby, born dead Large bunch of mustard greens 2 white onions, 1 cup chopped celery Vegetable oil (or hog fat) Salt, pepper, garlic, etc.

Lightly brown onions, celery, garlic and meat in large heavy pot. Add a little water and the greens (which should be thoroughly cleaned and washed). Smother slowly for at least 2 hours, adding small amounts of water when it starts to stick. Stir frequently. When ready - serve with rice, grilled smoked sausage, green salad, and iced tea. Coffee and apple pie then brandy.

Maternity Ward Pot Luck Dinner

If you can?t get anything fresh from the hospital, nur

Reply to
bosco took

add chicken stock and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Add the patties or stuffed heads, and some loose crawfish, lobster, long piglet, or what have you. Cook on low for 15 minutes, then allow it to set for at least 15 minutes more. Serve over steamed rice; this dish is very impressive!

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Babies really can be found under a cabbage leaf - or one can arrange for ground beef to be found there instead.

8 large cabbage leaves 1 lb. lean ground newborn human filets, or ground chuck Onions peppers celery garlic soy sauce salt pepper, etc Olive oil breadcrumbs Tomato Gravy (see index)

Boil the cabbage leaves for 2 minutes to soften. In skillet, brown the meat in a little olive oil, then add onions, peppers, and celery (all chopped finely) and season well. Place in a large bowl and cool. Add seasoned breadcrumbs and a little of the tomato gravy, enough to make the mixture pliable. Divide the stuffing among the cabbage leaves then roll. Place seam down in a baking pan. Ladle tomato gravy on top, and bake at 325° for 30 - 45 minutes.

Umbilical Cordon Bleu

Nothing is so beautiful as

Reply to
Chris Seal

Cool. Many moons ago I went to AY Jackson Highschool. I am always running into willowdillians, even in Southern California. I was at a conference at UCLA a few months back. I heard a girl talking in the elevator about UofT and I asked her where she is from. "Willowdale" she said. Turns out she grew up just on the other side of the train tracks from me at Van Horne and Leslie, just a few hundred yards as the crow flies. I moved there as a five year old in 1966 and moved away in 1991. Who knows, we may have crossed paths at some point.

--

10 things men know about women: 1)?2)?3)?4)?5)?6)?7)?8)?9)?10) women have breasts
Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks

My son (now 30 )went to AY and we live not too far from it...between Leslie and Bayview just south of Steeles

Reply to
bosco took

It truely is a small world isn't it?

--

10 things men know about women: 1)?2)?3)?4)?5)?6)?7)?8)?9)?10) women have breasts
Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks

Last winter we left our 2000 Saturn LS2 our all day at minus 35; it started good, but the system computer limited the speed until the engine was warm enough to use the power. That is pretty good; at minus 20 our Chyrsler was totally dead.

We just discovered yesterday that our '95 Chevy had a defective block heater. It started good every day; same GM ignition as the the Saturn

David

Reply to
David

Well, I have an '03 Ion 4 door and live in Edmonton...2 winters now, including -40 weather and no problems. Having the battery in the trunk helps too...less chance of it freezing up overnight or during a day at the office.

Mike H

Reply to
Michael Halliwell

Bad day for me to read THIS one!

5:45am, -20something°C in an ION 3 and it wouldn't start. Turn the key and it gives a brief and reluctant "rrr" then seized up like it was a dead battery, except all the lights and fixtures worked fine.

Tried a couple times after that - nothing (not even the "rrr"). Pushed the car into the street, started my wife's HONDA (which started fine) and boosted the SATURN, no dice - waited about 3 minutes (with the Honda still pumping away), then it finally turned over.

Cold and pissed and late for work... :(

-e

Reply to
NoSetFine