Having trouble starting my 98 Jetta in the Winter

Hi, I have an automatic 98 Jetta GL w/50,000 miles on it, which I bought this past May. This car just doesn't like to start in the winter. The starter, batter, alternator are all in check and my VW mechanic tells me that it's just the cold weather (he just went through the entire car on my last oil change and everything is good). Keep in mind, I live in Syracuse, which is the snowiest metro area in the country. Temps were in the negatives yesterday and right now it's 16 degrees so I figured it would start but nothing. I don't have a garage either. I'm just getting a little frustrated because I have to rely on it for work and I'm just to the point where I feel like selling it (probably won't because I really like the car). So my questions are: have any of you experienced trouble starting your volkswagen in the winter?? and, is there anything I can do for the car to help prevent it from not starting? (Someone I know suggested dry gas). Alright, thanks for your help.

Reply to
Ben

I dunno about this but maybe a block heater would help. like the people in alaska do.

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

When you try to start, what happens? It cranks strongly, but does not ignite? It cranks strongly, but sputters. It cranks weakly?

If you run the dome light as you crank, does it dim a LOT, or just some. Hard to characterize bright vs dim. So another question is more quantifiable: when you crank, what does the battery voltage drop to?

If in doubt, and if symptoms support this, a new high-power battery is very effective.

The block heater that was mentioned is really nice. An electric battery blanket is also useful, but if you are cranking strongly, that would point elsewhere.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Hi Ben:

Well, I have an 88 VW Cabriolet Convertible that I just purchased last week. It has been cold here too (central Ohio), and my car has been hard to start. It is also an automatic. I found that if I pushed the gas pedal all the way to the floor one time just before turning on the ignition switch, that it would start easier. Maybe that is just a fluke with my 16 year old car, but it works for me.

Reply to
Papa

Frankly I believe that any reasonably new car in good shape should start easily at 16º F.

What does it do or not do when you try to start it. You say nothing, does that mean no noise of movement of any kind??

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If it cranks slow then change to synthetic oil. I had a 90 fox which was my work car and sat out all winter and started very well once I switches to syn oil.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Good Suggestion

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I go for the cheap stuff fixes first.

Reply to
Woodchuck

winter. The

Reply to
Ben

Pressurize the system first:

-Key to ON, wait 2 seconds

-Key to off.

repeat 3 or 4 times...

When its really cold, that always makes my GOlf start faster...

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Buy an oilpan heater, glue it to the oilpan (Magnet?) and plug it in like a diesel. The oil should be warm enough for the cold.

Try Ebay...

Reply to
Peter Parker