Winter driving in Fiat Multipla?

Hi

I'm seriously considering buying a Fiat Multipla MY 1.6 ELX ( the "new" model from 2002) for my family. However, as I travel several times a year to Norway for cross-country skiing, I would like to hear about this cars performance in sub-zero temperatures:

Browsing the internet, I'm getting a bit concerned: Specifically I've noticed reports on the handbrake cable freezing and the exhaust pipe "exploding" due to a faulty construction with water/ice accumulating in the end( although apparently this problem can be fixed by drilling a 5 mm hole in the pipe..). Further the Multipla was never imported to Sweden and only solds in very limited numbers to Norway: Finally there's been reports of the heating system being unable to cope with very low temperatures.

I would be most grateful for comments from users with experience driving the Multipla in cold conditions, has the mentioned errors been fixed in the MY model?

A final question: I've noticed that Fiat ? after the inferior NCAP test in 2001-decided to modify the Multipla substantially, but I've been unable to establish whether Fiat in fact did implement any security changes in the MY model.

Best wishes

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Hi Jonathoan, I can only give my own experiences with conditions in england. We had a recent freeze for a day or two, and my rear brakes froze causing the abs lights to come on. I'm told this is a common fault, but only when car is left standing more than two or three days. With regard to the heater, we have a 1.9jtd model car and the heater is poor, compared to other diesel cars we have had , this is by far the worst for heat output. Overall though, this is the best car we have had, it holds the road great, its a wide car with wide tyres and the traction is great. Its got some punch too. cant comment on the petrol, but diesel works for me. rob

Reply to
rob