1964 289 auto RPM's and n.o.s. dash storage

I am doing some research on how many rpm's my 289 is doing at 60mph with a 3:31 rear axle and automatic tranny. It is a 3 spd tranny, however in "D" it only runs 2nd and

3rd. It shifts into 3rd by 25 - 30 mph, and by 60+mph it feels like the engine is turning to many rpm's. Does anyone have an idea of what the rpm's are for my car at 60mph? I was thinking that if someone had a similar drive train setup with a tach, that they would be nice enough to give me an idea. Also, I have a n.o.s. dash for my '64, and i'm wondering how to perserve it until i get around to painting it. It is currently black as manufactured that way. Is there a way to rehydrate it? As in introducing some softening agent, as it is possible that over the last 40+ yrs that it may have shrunk just a bit? And if there is I don't want to use some thing that will interact when i paint it. The dash is in good shape, and i want to keep it that way until i paint it.
Reply to
Pckstude

Use this calculator to find the engine rpms at any speed:

years of us being conditioned to hearing lower engine speeds withoverdrive transimissions it sounds like the engines in cars of thisvintage are spinning too fast at highway speeds. There isn't generallyany need for concern, however, as these engines are quite happy at rpmsunder 4000. 3500 is probably a good speed for them to run. They willuse more gas at these rpms and may not last quite as long as if theywere turning more slowly but the V8's are kind of below their powercurve when they are under 2500.I don't believe fiberglass shrinks or needs rehydrating.Tim K.

Reply to
GTtim

speed:

After years of us being conditioned to hearing lower engine speeds with> overdrive transimissions it sounds like the engines in cars of this> vintage are spinning too fast at highway speeds. There isn't generally> any need for concern, however, as these engines are quite happy at rpms> under 4000. 3500 is probably a good speed for them to run. They will> use more gas at these rpms and may not last quite as long as if they> were turning more slowly but the V8's are kind of below their power> curve when they are under 2500.> I don't believe fiberglass shrinks or needs rehydrating.> Tim K.

Reply to
Pckstude

speed:

> After years of us being conditioned to hearing lower engine speeds with> > overdrive transimissions it sounds like the engines in cars of this> > vintage are spinning too fast at highway speeds. There isn't generally> > any need for concern, however, as these engines are quite happy at rpms> > under 4000. 3500 is probably a good speed for them to run. They will> > use more gas at these rpms and may not last quite as long as if they> > were turning more slowly but the V8's are kind of below their power> > curve when they are under 2500.> > I don't believe fiberglass shrinks or needs rehydrating.> > Tim K.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Reply to
GTtim

I would not use any vinyl conditioner if you want to later paint the dash pad. Any oils or silicone that penetrate could create adhesion problems with the paint. IIRC, there was a recent discussion of what to use to clean and pre-treat vinyl for paint, and what type of paint to use. Anyone recall this?

Jim Bradley

'64 Dayt> Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding on the dash. You must be talking

speed:

>>After years of us being conditioned to hearing lower engine speeds with>>>overdrive transimissions it sounds like the engines in cars of this>>>vintage are spinning too fast at highway speeds. There isn't generally>>>any need for concern, however, as these engines are quite happy at rpms>>>under 4000. 3500 is probably a good speed for them to run. They will>>>use more gas at these rpms and may not last quite as long as if they>>>were turning more slowly but the V8's are kind of below their power>>>curve when they are under 2500.>>>I don't believe fiberglass shrinks or needs rehydrating.>>>Tim K.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text ->

Reply to
Jim Bradley

I have found that a good washing with lacquer thinner right before spraying with a good vinyl dye works well. The lacquer thinner will clean any oils or other contaminates from the vinyl and soften it making it absorb the vinyl dye better.

Henry

Reply to
blacklarkviii