56 Golden Hawk engine question

Might be going shortly to look at a '55 K that supposedly has a '56 Packard engine in it.Whats the easiest way to tell if it's a 374 or a smaller cube
version? I admit to being unfamiliar with Packard stuff.
Bob40
Bob wrote:

I don't think there *is* a way, short of checking the numbers and/or checking displacement somehow (oil in cylinders, pull a head and measure bore, etc.)
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Mike wrote:

--
Allen French

Wow! What insanity! My parents bought a new Ford from Mosehart Keller in '63, the first year that they sold Fords. They had been selling Studes since 1889 or so. I fell in love with some of the left over '62 models on their lot & some of the nice used Hawks. I was 9 then, & could not convince my Dad to buy one of the marked-down new '62 Studes. Shame. Are you from Houston, Allen?
--
Barry'd in Studes

58 Packard Hawk
I lived in Baytown until I was 39 and then moved to Uvalde, TX. in 1972. I worked a few years for Skinner Motors a Studebaker dealer on S. Shaver in Pasadena until 1964. I used to drag race my studebakers at Dayton Drag Strip and Porter Drag Strip north of Houston. I'm just getting back into Studebakers. Allen
Barry wrote:

--
Allen French

Well, congratulations on 1) getting out of the Houston area, and 2) getting back into Studes!
--
Barry'd in Studes

58 Packard Hawk
If it is a "55, there is a good chance it might be a 374 as the Packard engines were not available until the 1956 model year. Someon might have repowered it, and back then the easy way woould have been to use a Packard 352/374. What does it have in the way of carbs on it? If there are two, the you could be assured it is a 374.
BG

Why? Will the 2X4 intake not bolt to the 352 heads?
Paul
It was only factory installed on the 374, perhaps Bondo thought that if it had dual fours it was likely to be that engine although it would fit them all.
R1Lark wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com

You are correct, Nate. I had a 55 Caribbean with 2x4 carbs, which came standard on all Caribbean models in 55&56. BH

If I remember right the only difference is the bore. The 352 was 4 inches and the 374 was 4.125. Allen
R1Lark wrote:

--
Allen French

I didnt get to far into looking at it.No air cleaner on the 4 bbl carb and the engine was locked up.Had chrome valve covers with the Packard script...whoopee. Previous owner(deceased) was turning a 55 President into a 56 GH.
Bob40

The chrome covers with Packard script denote a Caribbean engine. Other senior series engines had painted valve covers & Clipper valve covers had "Clipper' embossed on them AFIRC. BH

inches
Engine numbers. Left front of block:S-11600 also 10555 Back of block near the bellhousing: A-572094 Passenger side below valve cover: 6480406CD/ The body has the tag on the firewall 56J-K7 but that was added on,I am waiting to find out if the title is for a '55 Stude or if it's for a '56 GH.
Bob40