Stock or not that is the question: 56 Packard Executive 2door

I figure this topic will not generate much response as any political issue here but I want to throw it out anyway.

1956 Packard Executive 2 door hardtop that needs everything. Dover White and Jamacian Yellow accent. I will probably drive this car until judgement day once I get it back on it's feet. I figure it will cost the same amount of cash going down a black hole to do it stock or modified. Being in AZ, I feel I need to add A/C just to be able to drive it all the time, so I guess unless I find another 56 car with factory air it will not be pure stock.

I also think it would be neat to use it to pull the 100,000th lark to a SDC meet some day. I could be dreaming about that though.

So I will sit back and see what the normally shy and retiring group has to say

Bob Miles

Reply to
bob m

Bob,

I say go for it!! Personally, I love the '55 and '56 Packards. They were excellent cars, technologically very advanced, and just look cool.

As for the modifications, it's your car......do what YOU want, not what someone else THINKS you should do.

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

Whatever you do, I would get in touch with someone who really knows Packard engines and whenever you have the engine apart, do *all* the updates that were made. The one real weakness of the Packard engine is the oiling system, it is very marginal which is a shame as the rest of the engine is just as stout as a Stude engine, but bigger. The oil pump itself is a weak link, I had Max Merritt rebuild an oil pump for my 56J, but a real Packard probably has an oil pump with an integral vacuum pump. I would STRONGLY suggest switching to a 56J style oil pump with a flat steel bottom cover, and also have it rebuilt with new bushings so the shaft doesn't wobble and suck air. I guess you will have to come up with a "plan B" for the windshield wipers...

And then there's the Ultramatic, which is a wonderful transmission when it's working right BUT... yeah, you need to find someone that knows Ultramatics as well. Unless you are one of those fortunate people who's found a Packard with a stickshift?

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Do it the way YOU want it and to hell with everyone else. If anyone gives you any shit tell them to stick it, it's YOUR car. With the recent nonsense about matching numbers, I see why the local street rodder club guys always seem to be happy....they could care less about modifications or numbers, they are too busy enjoying their cars. BTW, I think someone is making an AC mount and drive setup to use the modern Sanden compressors for the Packard V8. If you intend on driving the thing and considering where you live, you will want the biggest, baddest, AC system you can come up with. Get the biggest condenser you can squeeze in front of the radiator and an electric fan for it. Phoey on original AC stuff, be COOOL! Let the purists do the sweatin'... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Reply to
Barry

just a minute....got to move my soapbox over a little....make sure it's steady....OK, now: "PACKARD KNEW HOW GOD INTENDED IT TO BE SO LET IT ALONE". well, really I don't like ANY car modified.....but modified Packards? unthinkable. but it's your car.

but, how many Executives can be left? They only made about 1500 each of the 2 & 4 doors, didn't they? it's RARE

as for appearance, it's amazing how neat looking the Executive turned out: take a Clipper Custom and change a few pieces of side trim and it looks kewl. the yellow/white combination was efffective, but I've seen some nice custom color combos that work, too.

the AC is not a problem: hell, when they were new you saw them with the AMC style in the dash, in the trunk, under the dash. personally, I'd put a trunk mounted unit in it (think you can spare the trunk room < g > ?)

can you tow with torsion-level? They recommended against it when they were new.......how about with 50 year old bars, gears, links, load arms, etc.?

at the very least you'd have to put a Torqueflyte in it - don't think the Ultramatic would take kindly to towing.

got a pic? what you should do with it may depend on what ya got to work with.

Jim C.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

I am going to bring the car home from San Diego later this month so I will have pictures later. It is a complete car that sold new in Long Beach. I know about the oil pump situation and the Ultramatic too. I do have a guy in town that knows Ultras backwards and forwards and Borg Warners too. He will not work on anything newer than 1977. So the trans issue is covered.

The car had originally push button column but was changed somewhere along the way. It also has manual windows which I consider a plus; have had trouble with the power windows on 55-56 cars in the distant past.

I have heard the cars were not recommended for towing.

When I get it home and all cleaned up I will start my list then decided. If I go modified, I will need something stout with torque to match the engine transmission that were in the original car.

The deal is I want to drive this car and enjoy it. I dare say I will not find another one in the parking lot when I go somewhere.

Bob Miles

Reply to
bob m