A day in an alternate unverse. OT

Worked on a Crosley today, not a Studebaker. If that's not an alternate universe, I don't know what is.

It's a '48 Crosley Super sedan delivery. I've had it here for over a year now, and it just seemed like time to get a few things done. Last evening I repaired one of the front springs, which were badly sagging, by adding an extra full-length leaf to the stack, using a spring leaf salvaged from a Morris Minor rear spring. I just could not find a source for

1 1/2" leaf spring stock.

Did the other front spring today, and now it sits fine, possibly a half-inch high in the front, but I expect it'll settle some. Replaced the front spring rubber bushings, too. 2R truck spring bushing, with 1/8" cut off the small O.D. end worked perfectly.

While I was under the front end, I removed the cable for the left front brake, and lubed it up, and wrapped it with heat shrink. Mechanical brakes, dontcha know? The right front had been done last year. Noticed the tie rod was bent a bit; took it off and straightened it, and set the toe-in. Greased all the front end joints, too.

Steering was till kind of stiff, so I pumped some grease into the little bitty Ross steering box, no improvement. I could hear some creaking up around the steering wheel, so I pulled the wheel, and found a coil spring used to support a cover over the column tube was dragging on the shaft. Ended up pulling the column tube, only to discover there is no bearing at the top, just a braided fabric bushing. I also found the steering shaft was way over to the right, and not centered in the column hanger under the dash. That puts the whole column in a bind. I loosened the steering box on the frame, and shimmed under the front bolt, and was able to get the shaft dead center in the column hanger. That helped a lot, although I suspect the steering box will need some attention soon.

Next task was to install the gas tank, which had been removed by the previous owner and hot-tanked and painted. That proved to be a real chore. I located four 1/4" carriage bolts I needed to mount the tank, and bolted it up under the rear floor. Then I had a look at the filler neck; it was full of rust, and had a bunch of pinholes in the lower part. I sandblasted it inside and out, then welded up the pinholes. I THINK I got 'em all. Even painted the darn thing. Next, I discovered that the filler neck won't go in with the tank in place. You have to sort of push them both up at the same time, and slip the rubber coupling hose over the end of the filler neck and the nipple on the tank while so doing. A piece of cake for an octopus! Anyway, I finally got it in place, and all buttoned up, the pickup pipe installed, and the new rubber grommets in place around the filler neck. Only the gage sending unit remains to be installed. Fortunately, there is an access hole in the floor for that.

I took the little car for a spin around the yard, running on the lawnmower fuel tank I tucked under the hood. Seems to steer and stop fine, but there's still some tire/fender interference. Tires are a bit oversize, which probably accounts for it. I'll try to determine where the interference is happening, and see what steps I can take to fix it.

Next tasks: install fuel sending unit, and check fuel tank for leaks. Lube up rear brake cables, and adjust brakes. Clean out carb (seems to have a lean surge). Get lights and horn working.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

universe, I don't

and it just

stack, using

a source for

bushings, too. 2R

straightened

steering wheel, so

there is no

shaft was way

That helped a

carriage bolts

with the tank

so doing. A

buttoned up, the

hole in the

Bitty cars are fun to work on and buggers in other ways. I must admit to still having pleasant thoughts about the Fiat 850s I've had. (You remember the story about the time that the ruibber band did break and the cr stopped, don't cha?) Nothing like driving at 10/10ths and no one knowing it!

Karl

Reply to
midlant

universe, I don't

now, and it just

stack, using

a source for

high in the

bushings, too. 2R

brake, and lubed

right front

straightened

steering wheel, so

column tube

there is no

shaft was way

That helped a

carriage bolts

with the tank

while so doing. A

buttoned up, the

neck. Only

access hole in the

rear brake

Yep, this little car is both fun and a bit of a puzzle to work on. Today I "fixed" the fuel sending unit. The half of the housing with the float pivot in it was badly rusted, and the brass bushing for the float pivot turned in the housing, instead of the pivot turning in the bushing. I glass-bead that part, and avoided glass beading the delicate brass wiper. Then I silver-soldered the brass bushing to the steel shell, and the heat of doing that freed up the float arm. The wiper was worn down to a thin ring, instead of the round "tit" that's supposed to track along the resistance wire. I cut a short piece of my silver brazing rod, and filed a ball end on it. Inserted that in the hole in the end of the wiper and soldered it in place, making a nice rounded contact to follow the resistance wire. Incidentally, this exact same repair can be done to Sude sending units, so it's not entirely OT here.

Cut a cork gasket, and installed the repaired sending unit in the tank. I poured about 2 gallons of gas into the tank, and found a pinhole leak in the filler neck, further up from the bottom than the ones I fixed. I think a little fiberglass putty will fix that for now. Tank itself appears to be OK. Hooked up the fuel line to the pump. So far, so good.

I decided to clean up under the dash, with switches and stuff dangling from wires. Found the previous owner's ignition switch, a "unviersal" type, and found a key in my junk box that works it. Installed that. Sorted out some of the wires to the headlight switch. It had a morked-up fuseholder on the end, so I snipped that off and went with an inline fuseholder. Now I have a tail light that works (after replacing its mounting bolts to get a ground), and I have power through the dimmer switch to the "Y" junctions behind the headlights. No light up front, though. Will have to go into the lamps themselves, it may just need sealed beams, but the wiring is pretty flaky there.

Ammeter works, but the fuel gauge doesn't. I kind of doubt I have power to the fuel gauge, though. Job for another day. I also freed up the rusted hood release cable, and got the hood latch hooked up with proper springs, too. It latches now. Haven't tried unlatching yet.

Fired the car up, and let it run until i was sure it was getting fule from the tank. WooHoo! That jobs works. Drove up the road to the neighbour's place and back. Got up to maybe 25 MPH, and the little car steers fine, goes straight down the road OK. Brakes definitely need setting up, but it will stop. The surge I experience is only in low gear, and I think it's mainly a function of bumpy ground and a rather drastic accelerator action; sets up a sort of oscillation. On the somewhat smooth dirt road, no problem in evidence, and none in 2nd gear or high. I think re-rigging the accelerator to have a bit longer travel, and maybe adding a dashpot would make that surge history.

I parked it in the shop, and I'll go back to Stude repairs for a while. At least now, I can hop in it, turn the key, and drive. Another full day's work could see a lot of the remaining glitches cleared up. None require much money be spent, just fiddly little labor-intensive stuff.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

universe, I don't

now, and it just

the stack, using

find a source for

half-inch high in the

bushings, too. 2R

brake, and lubed

The right front

and straightened

steering wheel, so

the column tube

discover there is no

steering shaft was way

That puts the

shimmed under the

That helped a

previous owner and

carriage bolts

had a look at

lower part. I

'em all. Even

with the tank

while so doing. A

buttoned up, the

filler neck. Only

access hole in the

fuel tank I

tire/fender

take to fix it.

up rear brake

lights and

the heat of

instead of the

piece of my

the resistance

so it's not

further up from

that for now.

bolts to get

fuel gauge,

in low gear,

try a trailer supply (TSC/ Northern Tool) for 1.5" leaf spring stock.

Reply to
oldcarfart

Thanks, Calvin. I had done a Google search for spring stock, and drew a blank. Anyway, I'm now done with Crosley springs, as far as I can see. If I do need to beef up the rear

1/4-elliptics, I still have enough left from the Morris Minor spring to do the job. And the price was right.

I went to the Three Hills Car Show and cruise night today (didn't stay for the cruise). Close to a thousand cars, considerably fewer if you mentally eliminate the riceboy cars and jacked-up late model 4X4s. But still a LOT of neat old cars, hotrods, and classics. Got a lot of good comments on the GT Hawk.

One other Stude there, Kevin Fonseca's '53 Champion coupe; a very pretty car, too.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond