Motorist in a day dream

Driving on the north circular at about five o'clock, near Heathrow airport today; the traffic was thick in all three lanes.

Behind me was a gentleman from the Indian sub-continent together with his family. He was setting new standards for tail-gating.

I did not want to enter the nearside lane and it was impossible to get into the outer lane. I do not think he had any hostile intentions, but was simply in *dream-land*.

I put on the hazard lights for a few flashes and he backed off a bit. But this was only for a minute. I again put on the hazard lights for about six flashes and touched the brakes. Again he backed off but again only for a minute or so.

The traffic was going at about forty miles an hour, if I had to stop suddenly I had serious concerns he just would not notice.

Shortly after but still tolerating this situation, I had to turn off to the left, and left the road.

What would have been the most sensible course of action for me to take, preferable something that would make him aware he was just too close?

I'm not looking for any hostile or aggressive responses here. Since he just looked like a dreamer in a trance.

Reply to
Michael Watts

Why, just out of interest? Could you have?

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Just slow down with your answer being if he hit you he was so close it was obvious he was running into you so you braked, what else can you do?

Sensors fitted to every vehicle would put an end to tailgating.

Reply to
George

Could actually increase tailgating. ;-)

My wife's new car will have radar controlled cruise control. (It automatically slows the car if it gets too near the car in front). I don't know yet but I'm guessing it will also brake the vehicle if necessary. (More research needed obviously!).

If every car had this then given the reaction time of electronics, cars could be driven safely considerably closer together.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

What's his race got to do with it?

So you were hogging the middle lane...

You turned left from the middle lane, or you entered the nearside lane first?

Move over and let him past, or just slow down then you wouldn't have to brake so hard in an emergency. Certainly not jabbing your brakes and flashing your hazard lights and getting annoyed about the situation

Then don't hog the middle lane, get in the nearside lane before turning left, don't bring race into it when there's no need etc..

Reply to
Mike P

Well, he clearly did, as he turned left shortly afterwards. FFS.

Reply to
Mike P

Fine if its 100% failsafe, recent tests have highlighted the fact that it does not always pick up motor or pedal cyclists.

Reply to
steve robinson

I'd have serious concerns about you not noticing something happening in front of you because you're busy getting all hot and bothered about an idiot behind you, spending too much time looking backwards, flashing hazards and tapping your brakes. You're as likely (or more likely) to cause an accident as he is driving like that.

Reply to
Mike P

I hope you will discuss it with her?

Reply to
Ophelia

Didn't you just say he was "hogging the middle lane"?

Make your mind up. FFS. Don't take it out on me because your "someone mentioned a foreigner" alarm went off.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

SNIP

Well they are not allowed on motorways. OTOH will it know about black ice or spilt diesel?

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

You should have just moved in to the inner lane and let him pass.

Reply to
Yellow

The Lexus system quite definitely brakes, quite hard if needed.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Why does it need to be 100% reliable? It's not replacing the driver.

I would be more concerned about it being too efficient, and slamming the breaks on for a pigeon or a kids balloon.

Reply to
Graham.

It is replacing the driver, thats the problem with all interference technology. Drivers become lazy and inatentive, the system ends up being used as the default braking system which its not designed for.

Reply to
steve robinson

It's the same with ABS and traction control, even seatbelts and air-bags. A *good* driver does not take liberties just because they are present, he is just grateful for the extra margin they might give him if the worst happens.

Reply to
Graham.

Eh? What's to discuss?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

When was the North Circular moved to become near to Heathrow?

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

They have a remarkable rate of whiplash injuries

Reply to
Cassandra

Pull into L1 and slow down. Let him go off and become someone else's problem.

Reply to
Huge