battery jump packs & air comps.

Just curious if anyone has owned one of those portable battery 'hot starts' from the auto parts store, and what kind of luck you had with
it. Also, the little 12 volt air compressors. Is there one that will actually air up a tire resonably quickly out in the field?
I have had a unit (my second) for about 3years. It is a jumper as well as air compressor in one unit. Also has a side mounted light with a switch for roadside light. Carry it with me all the time. Will inflate a flat (slow leaker) in about 5 to 10 minutes. Have to be very carefully not to do any arcing or you'll burn out a diode..That's why this is my second one. Prices have dropped and the units have become smaller. Small amp guage is also mounted on it as well as a cigarette lighter adapter on the side. Can plug in cell phone charger or small battery operated tools. Unit needs to be charged after each use for best results. Has AC adapter for home charge or cigarette lighter adapter to recharge while your driving. Has saved my A@# a few times as well as helped out a stranger a time or two who left lights on or just needed a jump. Compressor uses the most juice but will inflate all four tires if just low before recharging. If car is running you can run it off the cigarette lighter. If a tire has a big enough hole it won't keep up but otherwise pretty dependable. Mine are "Speedway Series" I have two. Hope this helps, Dave B
63 Avanti R1493

I have used these at a dealership that I worked at. Last year I decided to buy one. After looking around locally, I bought a new one off eBay. It is the light/compressor/starter variety. I got it from an outfit in Texas for $16 plus $18 shipping (heavy). I have used it for jump start and it has inflated a flat tire on my truck in 15 minutes. You should run the compressor in spurts or otherwise they overheat.

I have 2 seperate units that work well. One is the size of a flashlight and charges off the engine when it runs and works well jump starting my motor cycle or car. The other is a small 12 volt air pump that keeps all of my tires at the proper air presure. Neither has lights or anything else to keep them from their main purpose but some like the additional features. Both are kept in the car.
Geno
64 R2 Avanti
64 Daytona Convertible
Dwain G. wrote:

I bought ($45)one at Costco a few years ago. It served it's purpose, but one thing. You have to refresh the charge periodically and it doesn't grab you by the arm and tell you, So, it has to be checked on a regular basis. Don't let it go completely dead or you'll have a hard time getting it back to life, unless you have a real battery charger. Replacement batteries are available online for about $50.00, since they're made in the US and the chargers are made in China