On board air?

Anyone running on board air on their TJ? I was thinking about doing it, just for ease of use. My smitty compressor is just about had it, not too mention it takes 20 mins to let the bastard cool down before I can stow it. I swear it gets near red hot. haha!

Whos compressor are you using?

Reply to
ULB

Whos compressor are you using?

Reply to
Kate

I'm running a Viair 350C. Not a model available from the usual 4-WD houses, but it is rated 100% duty at 100 PSI. It us usually used by the air-shock kids. I fabbed a mounting plate to keep the rubber mounts on the pump, and used some rivnuts to mount it to the drivers side fender.Since the Rubicon does not have ABS, I removed the mounting ABS mounting plater and tucked a 1 Gal tank vertically into the space. I used a right angle fitting out the bottom to mount a drain petcock. In the upper end I machined a manifold block for a pressure guage, pressure switch, safety blow-off and quick disconnect. A 30 foot coiled air hose tucks in nicely beside the radiator. jeff

Reply to
jeff

Pricey but high-quality. Have had mine installed (York engine-driven compressor, 2.5gal tank and mounting plate) for five or six years now, nary a problem. The York puts out enough pressure to run air tools, and it takes me less time to air up then it does to air down. I recently installed axles with ARB's and plumbed them into the air system, with a dedicated regulator and solenoid valves. One year I even used it to winterize my lawn sprinkler system when my garage compressor was on the blink. :-) In the spring I'm going to upgrade my lines with their connectors, that will save me from having to re-tighten all the hose clamps I installed. The connection accessories were'nt available when I initially installed my system.

Reply to
matt

I am running a Viair 450C on my 03 Rubi. I ended up mounting it under the drivers seat. I made a bracket that attaches to the drivers seat frame holding the compressor sideways and up off of the floor. When I go to fill my tires after wheeling, the compressor is nice and cool to start out with compared to those mounted under the hood. I can also turn the air conditioning on and have it coming out the floor setting and it blows cold air on the compressor while it is running. I mounted a quick disconnect to the front of the bracket so it is a snap to connect the hose for use.

Jeff snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

jeff wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Hendron

I don't have a TJ but a CJ with air. I am using a York compressor (out of an amc/chevy/ford) there are a few different compression ratios but they are all close. The older style york compressor works well because it has a seperate oil reservoir to lube the pump (modern ac compressors have lube in the coolant/freon to lube be the compressor.) the clutch can be replaced with one for a v-belt or serpentine belt. I put a 10 gallon air tank (one of those portable ones) under the battery tray. regulator parts etc, manifold and hoses I got from a hydraulics shop. I cut the hoses after I routed them and they crimped fittings on them.

It works well, tank can be pressurized to 125lbs. I can run airtools off it and air up a 33x12.50 pretty fast.

there are a couple of write ups on the net on how to do it. I got the pump bracket and idler pulleys from an AMC. the compressor itself I got out of a ford pickup (Those were the ones with the biggest displacement) I used a small k&n filter as an air filter.

the whole setup was less than $100.

Reply to
csdude

[...]

$100 ? Teach me. I have an 86 CJ w/ SBC. Bumpers are already plumbed for air. Right now the only way I put air in the bumper tank is via a gas station air pump. My biggest hold-up has been trying to figure out how to attach a York compressor to a SBC i.e brackets. Any thoughts?

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Jo Baggs

Ok, I looked in my receipt box: I picked up the tank at a tractor-farm supply store for $12 got the compressor al a 'pick a part salvage yard' for $10 amc ac bracket and idler pulley from an amc Hornet $5 (same place) air manifold $7 hoses, connectors etc $35 pressure regulator $17 you also need a safety valve and a pressure gauge and a checkvalve (few bucks)

bolt ; pressure regulator, safety valve and gauge to the air manifold connect the tank to manifold with a high pressure hose and the compressor output with a hose with checkvalve to the manifold too. hook the pressure regulator switchwire to the clutch of the compressor (it disengages the clutch at a set pressure) the other wire on the clutch goes to an on/off power switch. I used a pressure hose to go form the air manifold to an air connector on my winch bracket/plate.

the Hornet ac bracket fits on the 258 and also takes the york. The idler pulley goes in-between the power steering and block ( Similar to where the idler pulley for cj's with ac goes)

cj's with a 258 have a 3 track crank pulley wheel, with 1 'track' not used. Adjust the york, idler so it aligns with the crank and water pump pulley. (and find a belt for it)

It is really not that difficult to do, it took me a saturday afternoon once I had all the parts.

I can put up a few pics some time if you need to see it.

Reply to
csdude

[...]

Pics would be great. Again, my challenge is I have a 350 SBC in my CJ. I have no idea which brackets will accommodate a York compressor to a SBC.

Thanks

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Jo Baggs

.

you can probably custom build some brackets from steel I shouldn't be too difficult. the York compressor can be mounted upright and sideways and any angle inbetween (it just takes a bit more oil sideways I believe, just don't mount it with the top pointing down) Maybe you don't need an idler pulley. The york is easy to mount., just 4 bolts in a square pattern at the bottom. So mounting the York should not be too difficult, you only need to get a bit creative to get a belt routed.

I read somewhere about someone welding a v-belt pulley to a crank pulley and run it that way. The idler pulley in my setup is just to easily adjust the belt tension

I'll take some pics tomorrow or so and post them

Reply to
csdude

.

here's a page of someone that did it with a SBC

there are also pics of the brackets used (he used a/c brackets from a Chevy)

I'll take some pics of the air manifold so you can see what that looks like

Reply to
csdude

here's a page of someone that did it with a SBC

there are also pics of the brackets used (he used a/c brackets from a Chevy)

I'll take some pics of the air manifold so you can see what that looks like

Thanks Dude !!! (or should I say thanks "csDude")

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Jo Baggs

Here's a pretty good article for you:

K.

Whos compressor are you using?

Reply to
Kate

.

Here's a pic of the manifold setup:

left to right:

- pressure switch (clutch engage/disengage)

- check valve

- 125 psi popup/safety valve

- pressure gauge

- pressure regulator

airtank: (The big red hose connects the tank to the manifold)

compressor to idler pulley:
idler pulley:

csdude

Thanks Kate.