Demon ’88 Camry

I have a ?88 SV21 Toyota Camry, which has a intermittent electrical problems. The battery goes flat when left for 12 hours ? replaced battery. The engine-cooling fan comes on for no apparent reason, even when the ignition switch is turned off, I suspect this could be causing the premature death the battery. :evil: HELP!

Reply to
steve22537

check the alternator? i have a '95 and have been thru 3 so far.

Reply to
anon

You likely have some drain that shouldn't be there, maybe a glove box light stuck on, a trunk light?, under hood light?...you can check the static draw by opening a battery lead and inserting an Ammeter...or if you're not up to this take it to someone who is.

Not necessarily...this can happen quite normally...It's one of the great reasons for keeping your fingers off that fan ALL THE TIME!...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

The cooling fan on the Camry should not come on with the ignition switch turned off. I'd bet someone had a problem with the fan not working and re-wired it as a workaround, not thinking about causing other problems.

Reply to
Ray O

There's an easy way to check for a constant draw on your battery. You only need an inexpensive 12 volt test light which you can pick up at any auto parts store. With the engine off, disconnect the negative battery cable. connect one end of your test light to the battery's negative post and the other to the negative cable you just disconnected from the battery. The light should only glow dimly (clock, radio memory). If it glows more brightly, at least you know that something is drawing current. Then start unpluggling stuff until the light goes out or glows dimly. The last thing you unplugged is likely the culprit. Good luck. jor

Reply to
jor

"Ray O" wrote: snip

Oops...I stand corrected (thanks Ray)...I thought that all vehicles using an electrical cooling fan were wired so that the fan was controlled only by a radiator temperature switch, not so eh?...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I've seen them wired both ways.

Reply to
Ray O

"" wrote: > check the alternator? i have a '95 and have been thru 3 so > far. > > > > > I have a '88 SV21 Toyota Camry, which has a intermittent > electrical > > problems. The battery goes flat when left for 12 hours - > replaced > > battery. The engine-cooling fan comes on for no apparent > reason, even > > when the ignition switch is turned off, I suspect this could > be > > causing the premature death the battery. :evil: HELP!

Have check the alternator and all is okay, 35 amps charge. The problem appears to with the engine cooling fan coming on intermittently when the vehicle is turn off. With ignition off, battery drain is minimal. If I leave the engine-cooling fan disconnected we don?t have a problem, but summers coming. I don?t want to route the fan via the ignition switch manually.

Thanks for the replies so far........

Reply to
steve22537

I'll keep that in mind...thanks Ray...