DMV v VIN v KDH

From my Insurance Company in the post today.:

"Dear Mr Haas

The DMV in your state notified us of a discrepancy in the vehicle identification number (VIN) of your 1964 Studebaker.

In order to properly report an electronic proof of liability insurance to the state, we must verify that the information requested on the attached form is correct.

Please complete the form and mail it to us in the enclosed envelope or fax it to 1234567890. If you would prefer to call us with the information, our telephone number is (800) 987654321. We would like a response by September 30th, 2006." [signature] (END OF LETTER)

I think that I'll call them and say,

"My 1964 Studebaker doesn't have a 'VIN'. The item called a VIN came into existance sometime in the 1970s and has about seventeen characters, the first one or two indicating nation where it was built, the second if it has a day/night rearview mirror, the third shows the number of CDs it's sound system will hold and so on. It has had the same non-VIN SERIAL number (64S6198) for forty years. This non-VIN has been acccepted by DMV as being registered by me for the past few years and is, correctly, on the registration form in my pocket sent me. It was also on a series of California registrations during the past four decades. It also matches the plate on the drivers door jamb, where Studebaker put their serial number plates at that time. As the instruction sheet indicates, the VIN should have been found on the top of the left side of the dashboard, and, following the custom of the time, was not there.

The 64 stands for the year model the S means that it is a six-cylinder car, as opposed to the V an eight cylinder car would have.

6198 means that a bit more than six thousand 1964 model-year six-cylinder cars were built before this one.

As far as I can see, the DMV is giving you a hard time because it's computer wasn't programed properly.

Karl Haas

Reply to
midlant

WAY TO GO!

Some of these "public servants" need to find out what is going on in the real world instead of just looking for the next handout (pay check) we give them.

What ignorant incompetence is expressed in some of the letters that people like you have received.

Louis

Reply to
GABOY

Ummm... before you go postal on these people, make sure they have a legitimate problem. This could be something as simple as two numbers transposed. Also, not everyone in the world is as schooled as we are about Studebakers... and I'm willing to bet that there are people out there who could care less how Studebaker did things in 1964.

Since when did insurance company employees become "public servants"?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Reply to
midlant

Well Louis I'm your quote "Ignorant Incompetent Person" you're talking about I guess & let me take the time to THANK YOU for my Hand out/pay check. I hope to hell I'm the person you have to deal with at the DMV. I work @ the Whittier office if you ever want to stop by. I'd love to explain the laws of Ca and the requirements of Insurance on line program and if your VIN has any errors, (usually its a insurance error) your registration will be suspended and a $14 fee is required to reinstate it(once again my hand will be out!) if your registration is suspended & your driving your car it will be impounded until you make the correction(I'll be the one YOU WAIT for,lol). People like you will always keep my job alive-cartoons will be made ect. I'll take your hand out and buy me another Studebaker.... Rhonda aka red2ubabe State Title "SMVT" Stop by I can explain that too.

Reply to
Red2ubabe

I'm not going to defend DMV workers, but I've been in line several times were there were idiots on both sides of the counter. How many people have to go out to their car or home to get what they were supposed to bring in before they got in line? And then spend 10 minutes arguing about having to go get it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

If the programmer had added a flag: "CHECK YEAR OF VEHICLE" if "VIN" was questionable, that would have solved the problem. (I also had to supply my ID and CDL #, too, from another request.)

I will be sending a polite summary and suggestions to the head of the DMV and also may do something for an hobby magazine. Should I reference you for your loyality to DMV, luv?

Karl

Red2ubabe wrote:

Reply to
midlant

Karl, First thing is check your Insurance policy for the correct vin. If its right, call them and ask them if their on line with the dmv and you recieved the dmv nasty-gram. They need to re-enter it into the "system". Ask your insurance co how soon will they be processing it. wait 48 hrs,then call the dmv @ 800-777-0133 to verify that we have it. Rhonda aka red2ubabe

Reply to
Red2ubabe

I got the letter(s) from USAA on the 28th and wrote my first NG message a few hours later. I called the USAA 800 number in the AM of the 29th, but it was not in service, due to being set up for West Coasters and would be on 2 - 10 PM, PDT. Called USAA from SDAM about 3PM PDT and told them that they had the right numbers and repeating them - right being the Studebaker 7 character Serial Number, not a 17 character VIN that DMV and therefore USAA seemed to be seeking (they hadn't been invented in 1964 - not even the earlier, 12 character, one.) I said that I would be sending a written confirmation.They said that wasn't necessary, but I insisted on sending it as it might be informative to pass around should some other state (or Commonwealth) err in the same manner as California seems to have done.

All I have to do is get my story off to Sacto so as to help others!

Karl

Red2ubabe wrote:

Reply to
midlant

It is actually a somewhat funny story. When I transferred the title from CA to TX, I had no trouble at all. The local people at the Tax office immediately recognized that the car didn't have a "VIN" but evidently TX recognizes that a VIN is a vehicle identification number regardless of the number of letters or number. On my title under VIN is the Studebaker serial number.

Reply to
Paul Villforth

Reply to
midlant