Help validating Vin#

I'm interested in purchasing a 1970 mach1 that is for sale locally, supposedly a M code car from Californa. While i was checking the car over i noticed the vin# missing form it's normal location on the driver side dash. I did find a vin tag rivited on the inside door frame (not on the door itself) where the door hinge bolts on the frame, it does not look like a normal vin tag. The tag says California State and just below it is the vin#. This vin# matches the number listed on the ownership/title paper. There is also a number stamped on the frame on the left fender that matches the last six(?) digits of the vin.

Ques 1: Is the door frame vin# legitimate? Ques 2: Will I be able to get a repoduction tag for the driver side window location, assuming the proper documentation is provided?

Thanks.

Reply to
RI

The "warranty plate" will be on the body in the door opening by the door striker area NOT the door jamb. Ford went to the anti-tamper VIN sticker in 1970. Before that the warranty plate was a stamped aluminum plate on the door itself. The sticker will look somewhat like this:

also look at:

under "Dataplates and tags" it shows the actualsticker for a '70 BOSS on that page.

Sounds like the car has been monkeyed with or has had a salvage title or something. The full VIN should look something like this:

0R05M1XXXXX

The 05 is important as that signifies it's a mach 1 if it is an 02 then it is just a sports roof tarted up like a mach.

This entire number should be stamped on the drivers side inner fender above the washer bottle there will be a notch in the fender where it is stamped.

Another quick check is that 1970 mach's had rear sway bars. It should have sport lamps in the grille and the wiring should be hooked to a switch above the radio that hangs down and has "Sport Lamp" on the squarish knob. It will have a deluxe interior with wood grain dash and a "rallye" clock on the passenger side and say mach 1 on the dash NOT Mustang.

Personally I'd stay away from a car that has had the VIN messed with unless they can prove it's pedigree properly. It might be a rebodied car or who knows? HTH StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet