GT Hawk survivor

Just picked this one up today, it's heading to Lee's in Fort Wayne car, no radio, or power anything. 38,000 mile, two owner, untouched survivor.

John Poulos

nicest interior I've seen in a while...

Reply to
Dan

I'll post this from the forum in case someone here is looking:

OK, let's have some fun. We'll have a internet auction on the car before it goes on ebay Sunday. If the high bid is close to what I expect on ebay, I'll sell the car right here, right now. This will be a good test of the Studebaker guys against the ebay'ers. All bids by e-mail, don't clutter up the NG/forum. I added more pictures, and a description from Lee.

"Hey buddy,

I?ve been looking this car over a bit? I have NO DOUBT that the originality and mileage claims (38,800 miles) are correct. It drives and steers like a new car! VERY little wind noise and all windows roll smoothly. The brakes have a VERY slight pull to the left on hard braking but, during normal driving, seem fine.

Had one headlight low beam out (replaced), the brake light switch is in-operative (new one next to the car now), the overdrive is not operational at this time but will look into the further tomorrow. It freewheels when it should, compression brakes when it should, and the governor seems to be doing its job as well. I?ll pull the O/D solenoid tomorrow and see what I can find there. The alternator is inoperative (as of half way thru my first test drive?) and will go down for rebuild first of the week. Tires seem fine. Paint is showing some age but still looks pretty good from 20 feet. There are some touch-ups (throughout the body) and minor left front fender rust down low (as seen in pix). Undercarriage has some surface rust but I see no perforation, no frame delamination, no ?bat wing? rust. There IS enough surface rust underneath that the ?secret serial number? can no longer be seen though.

The interior looks very good. Vinyl with Cloth inserts. Not rotten or torn. Slightly soiled from use but I see no real staining. Carpets look very good and appear to be original with one exception. The driver?s side has a small damaged area that is covered by a floor mat. Honestly, there is no way I?d replace the carpets for the slight damage. Headliner looks and feels like brand new in perforated vinyl.

Trunk is very solid and nice! Deck lid is nice as well. Slight damage on the overlay. The trunk mat is the original and is quite serviceable. I?d not replace it. The engine bay looks pretty good. I?ll get the dust off it but there is no real reason to ?detail? it. The factory chalk/crayon mark survives on the firewall! Interesting? it has an oil bath air filter. That and O/D are the TWO options shown on the build sheet! Other than that, it is a very base model car. 289/2-bbl/3-sp w/OD, 3.73:1 gears. It does have a running clock but loses about 1 minute per hour.

All exterior lights are working (including the fender spears), however, the interior light is not working at this time. I?ll check the bulb in it tomorrow. The car starts immediately and holds GREAT oil pressure at hot idle (40 PSI?see the picture). The carb seems spot-on. Clutch feels great. The transmission is ?noisy? in first and second but whisper quiet in 3rd. Have not heard it in OD yet but foresee no problems getting that to work at this time.

More to come?

Lee"

more pic here:

Lee wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

All in all, the car is a sweetheart.... Interior is WAY above average and reflects a 38k mile original car that has been garage kept since new.

It's had some touch-ups outside but, all in all, is a VERY good looking car.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee