History Channel - Mail Call

This afternoon Mail Call had a piece on the Weasel, and they even talked about Studebaker Totally amazing, I wondered when and if they would ever get around to the Weasel or Studebaker Trucks.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Glass

I think that piece is a repeat, as I have seen them do something about the Weasel before. Nicely done as I recall. Joe Roberts

Reply to
itraseecab

That particular Weasel suffered a track failure following taping of the episode. Maybe Gunny was a bit too over zealous driving the 60+ year old machine around during the shoot.

I think the owner may have it back together again.

Reply to
Loy Daniel

Bill, I had the undercarriage on my Weasel all apart, and every bogie, idler, and main wheel is supported on ball or roller bearings.

The weak point in the tracks is the continuous wire-reinforced rubber band that links the grousers together and transmits all the traction forces. After 60 years, the wire rope embedded in the rubber has become rusty, and simply parts under the strain of driving.

Weasels were expected to last about 90 days in combat conditions, based on the expected attrition rate due to enemy action. They WERE built to last. Had to be.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond