Iowa wrecking yard Studes crusher bound

Van Der Haag Auto Salvage in Spencer, Iowa is set to crush all their Studebaker trucks and pick-ups in the next few days. So hurry up if you want a parts truck or truck parts.

Posted by Doug Holverson on the Studebaker e-mail list.

Now you know all that I know about it.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Just the Stude's? (or all the old stuff?)

Sounds like a marketing ploy to wring every last dollar out of the hobby before making a cheap buck in the scrap steel business.

Jeff (But the heads up is still appreciated) Rice

Gord> Van Der Haag Auto Salvage in Spencer, Iowa is set to crush all their

Studebaker trucks and

Reply to
Jeff

I think you will be seeing more of this. When scrap prices are high, it is a temptation to recycle the stuff, rather than having some tight-wad Studebaker collector shine around once in a blue moon. A local yard saved a row of early Kaisers, hoping someone could use the parts. After many years of drawing no interest at all, a collector came along. It was said he wouldn't even pay salvage prices, for what he wanted to cherry pick. Eventually the guy with the portable crusher came by and the Kaisers went away. As much as I hate to see it happen, a dose of reality sets in. I see this happening now, with the people that had a 'save-a-stude' idea years ago.

Reply to
keith_kichefski

Kaiser & Hudson people are even more miserably miserly than Stude folks. I have an NOS Kaiser front fender on ebay now which is getting no bids the third time listed.

-- Barry'd in Studes

58 Packard Hawk 40 President 39 Coupe Exp. 59 DeLuxe 1/2 tn. 56 Packard "400"
Reply to
Barry