Motorhead oil

Many of us use diesel rated oils like Rotella for it's zinc content to protect our Studebaker cam shafts. Those oils contain .14 percent zinc and that's do to drop next year. I learned this from a ad in the Sept TW about "Motorhead" oil that contains .5 % zinc for older cars. You should not use it in catalytic converter cars and it's about $15 a gallon. That still might be cheap insurance in the upcoming years.

Reply to
John Poulos

Now I am wondering what I am supposed to put in my '80's brand X's with slider cams. They have cat. converters. I was just thinking of going the diesel route with one thats due for a oil change, maybe I need to do more research?

Jeff in ND

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
JH

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

FWIW I used to run Rotella in all my cars, actually I am currently running the synthetic 5W40 version in the Porsche, just passed emissions earlier this year after 2 yrs. of a diet of alternating Rotella and Mobil 1 (Rotella is my first choice, but the synthetic is apparently only available at Wal-Mart, and not my local one either)

nate

JH wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

look into using motorcycle rated oils.

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
oldcarfart

Explain the need for Zinc, how does it help the cam, and do all diesel engine oils have Zinc in them?

Thanks

Bill

Reply to
Bill Glass

You gave me a idea, and I found this:

It seems as if there will eventually be an additive available much like

Reply to
John Poulos

" Zinc and Phosphorus -- the two primary metal anti-wear additives. Their purpose is to provide some degree of lubrication for metal-to-metal contact when oil pressure is too low (such as bearing surfaces while starting an engine). These two chemicals are usually packaged together by additive companies for the oil companies to use, as zinc dithiophosphate (ZDDP), and the oil companies add varying amounts to different formulations of their oils. Good for your engine, but high contents of it may foul catalytic converters if present."

Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

many UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycles) have cams that run in an aluminum casting with no insert type bearings and requires zinc for reducing surface wear.

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
oldcarfart

also think of GM's EOS (Engine Oil Supplement) before that is banned also!

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
oldcarfart

Do you ever get the feeling that there is a guv'ment conspiracy to force us to buy/finance and drive new cars?

JT

oldcarfart wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire