oil change frequency - please help

I have a 2000 Lexus ES300.
What is the recommended oil change frequency? How about minor/intermediate/major service frequency? Which service is most crucial? Which service is least crucial?

Maintenance schedules and service levels are in the supplemental owners handbook and include minor and intermediate services. There are also diagrams showing location of parts for service in the last sections of the owners manual.
Lexus.com also has maintenance schedules online if somehow you can't find the supplement.

Thanks! Really appreciate it.

|I have a 2000 Lexus ES300. | | What is the recommended oil change frequency? | How about minor/intermediate/major service frequency? | Which service is most crucial? Which service is least crucial? |
Adam (and Others Interested In Extended Drain Interval Oil Changes):
The 3,000 mile oil change is dead. Extended Drain Intervals are becoming more and more normal.
Petroleum based oils may be - safely - left in the vehicle for 5,000 to 7,500 miles based on driving habits.
If you will use AMSOIL synthetic lubricants and Nanofiber Technology Oil Filters, you can start changing your oil and filter ONCE every 25,000 miles or 1 year - whichever comes first.
AMSOIL was the first synthetic since 1972 and is the only synthetic that recommends extended drain intervals.
The recommended weight oil is 5W-30 and the oil in the link below may be changed at 25,000 mile intervals if you will also use AMSOIL's Nanofiber Technology Oil Filter. https://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo 90163&page=storefront/asl
Read about AMSOIL's Nanofiber Technology Oil Filters Here - Filters Particles Down To 1 Micron In Size: AMSOIL NANOFIBER TECHNOLOGY KEEPS THE OIL ANALYTICALLY CLEAN https://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo 90163&page=storefront/eao
Comparative Motor Oil Testing Data On Some Very Popular Motor Oils http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo 90163&page=performancetests/g1971/index
8.2 Percent Increase In Fuel Mileage - SAE J1321 Test Proven! https://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo 90163&page=testimonials/8pt2_morempg
Become A Preferred Customer - Save 25 - 30 Percent Off Retail Pricing https://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo 90163&pagecountmaintenance
Thank You For Allowing This Recommendation.
--
Steve Spence
Independent AMSOIL Dealer

Really? It's now 5,000 (not 3,000) mile oil change? One mechanic told me that there's residue if oil changes are done less frequently than 3,500 miles, which is why I sent this post for confirmation.

I guess I'm really far too cautious with my ~2K dino oil changes in my bike and car.
| > Really? It's now 5,000 (not 3,000) mile oil change? | > One mechanic told me that there's residue if | > oil changes are done less frequently than 3,500 miles, | > which is why I sent this post for confirmation. | > | > | I guess I'm really far too cautious with my | ~2K dino oil changes in my bike and car. |
A Direct Copy and Paste from AMSOIL's web site QUOTE
Key Limitations For API Licensed Formulas Phosphorous content - .06% minimum to .08% maximum (API SM; 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30 viscosity grades, only)
NOACK volatility - 15% maximum The prevalent sources of phosphorous in motor oils are additives called zinc dithiophosphates (ZDPs). These versatile additives contribute to reduced oxidation, corrosion and wear. The automobile manufacturers, however, have demanded that lubricants contain a maximum of only .08% phosphorous. Their reason is some manufacturers believe higher phosphorous content levels will poison the catalytic converters on their cars before they reach 120,000 miles, which is the number of miles that vehicles are required to pass EPA emission standards. There is not total agreement within the automotive and lubrication industry about whether phosphorous levels over .08% actually do harm catalytic converters in the long run. What they have failed to make allowances for is the NOACK volatility of an oil, the volatility of the phosphorus itself, or the oil drain intervals.
The maximum allowable NOACK volatility percentage for the SM/GF-4 passenger car motor oil specification is 15%. Most of AMSOIL motor oils are in the 5% to 8% NOACK volatility range. There is a correlation between NOACK volatility and oil consumption, which ends up in the exhaust gasses. Therefore, higher phosphorous, low volatility oils present no more risk to catalytic converters than low phosphorous oils with higher volatility. This has also been demonstrated for years in actual application through state mandated exhaust gas testing on our Dealers' and customers' high mileage vehicles using AMSOIL synthetic motor oils. State inspectors are continually amazed at the low emissions levels generated by vehicles using AMSOIL products. So much for poisoning catalytic converters. END QUOTE
My Summary By changing petroleum oil at 2K intervals, you are actually introducing more ZDP (phosphorous) into the exhaust system due to the higher volatility (burn off rate) of the petroleum based oil.
If you'd like to know more and the newsgroup doesn't mind, I'll be happy to post several educational articles.
--
Steve Spence
Independent AMSOIL Dealer

People live their specialties. Yours is oil. Mine are elsewhere. Thus, my technical understanding of the material you reference would be at best, limited.
Additionally, the last thing I wish is to begin an oil thread. I've seen those and they're not pretty.
You may send the material to this reply address, and I'll look it over. And I'll take any further questions and/or comments offline.
Thanks.
No, 2K is fine with dino. Actually 3K is fine. Mercedes and BMW use high specification synthetic oils (Group IV/V, no Group III), that's why they can go 15,000-20,000 miles.
In a Lexus, even if you use the stringent MB209/BMW LL-01 synthetic oil you can still go up to 5000 miles or void remaining powertrain warranty. (Toyota wants you to prove with oil change receipts). It's an engine design issue.

gburnore@databasix dot com
Hee hee hee. That might work, except for VW / Audi, where they specify service receipts. So don't know if they'll actually honor parts receipts.

The excerpt was copied and pasted from this link: http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo 90163&page=articlespr/2005/article_sludge
THE VW/AUDI LETTER Today's automakers are well aware of the problems associated with conventional petroleum motor oils knowing that engine designs have been a contributing factor in the sludge problem. One reason is that engine compartments are smaller and hotter than in the old days. They put more demands on motor oil. Another reason, though, is that with all those brain boxes and sensors, engines simply need to be kept cleaner or they don't run right. This summer VW/Audi of America sent a letter to vehicle owners informing owners of 1998-2004 VW Passats and 1997-2004 Audi A4s that they will receive extended warranty coverage on the 1.8L turbocharged engines. In the letter, VW/Audi recommended synthetic 5W-40 engine oils that meet the VW 502.00 spec because the use of petroleum oils increases the risk of sludge formation.
To their credit VW/Audi does not require that the oil be changed at the dealership. Vehicle owners simply need to keep records of their oil and filter maintenance.
The reason VW/Audi took this stance is easy to surmise. Execs at VW/Audi did not want to get embroiled in the oil related storms that cost Mercedes 32 million dollars or Toyota's bad press due to sludge problems.
TROUBLES AT TOYOTA In recent years Toyota has also had to deal with serious sludge issues. A 2002 article in Automotive News detailed the high volume of sludge related complaints received by Toyota.
The trouble centered around Toyota's 3.0-liter Sienna V-6 engine. With over 3.3 million such engines the problem could not easily be hidden in a glove compartment. I had become aware of the problem even before it appeared in print.
Accusations flew that the engine was flawed (Toyota, owners spar over sludge, Automotive News, Feb 8, 2002) but Toyota would never acknowledge this. (Toyota to Cover Oil Gelation Damage, by Tim Sullivan, Lube Report, Feb 27, 2002)
The Automotive News article cites numerous sources to make its case. Larry Perry, an A.S.E.-Certified Master Technician who owns a repair shop and hosts a radio talk show in Florida was quoted as saying, "We believe Toyota reduced the size of the cooling passages to the cylinder heads in those engines in order to increase combustion temperatures for more of a complete burn to reduce exhaust emissions." Perry, who has seen more than his share of sludge problems went on to say, "the solution is to use only 100% synthetic motor oil."
In the end, Toyota Motor Sales USA made a one time offer to cover the repairs to vehicles damaged by sludge. For Toyota, this was the tangible price they paid for sludge.
--
Steve Spence
Independent AMSOIL Dealer

Were one to contest that, VW/Audi would likely lose. They can't MAKE you pay someone else to change your oil if you can prove you did.
--
gburnore@databasix dot com

That mechanic tried to make more moneys from you. There is no such residue. Some mechanics claim they can produce electricity out of nothing, you know that's bogus.
If you have no record of the last oil change, what will you do?
Take the common sense, do not be alarmed, 1-yr oil change is possible but I wouldn't wait that long, I check the oil stick, if I see the oil is sticky that means it's time change. Normally I change every 6 months even with synthetic oil that claims to be good for 1-yr.

Yeah, the mechanic might be trying to make more money. I'll check the oil stick around 3,500 miles and go from there. What type of oil do mechanics use these days?

This mechanic uses nothing but Valvoline Full Synthetic in both cars and motorcycles. One change per year. Niiiiice. AMSOIL may have been first, but it's not the only. The only one I'd NOT use is Mobile One (unless they've changed the formula to give it a clear color and not BLACK).
--
gburnore@databasix dot com
Click on the link below and read how Valvoline Full Synthetic compared to AMSOIL: http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo 90163&page=performancetests/g1971/index
And, if you're going to change the oil once a year, you need to use AMSOIL's Synthetic Nanofiber Technologh Oil Filter: https://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo 90163&page=storefront/eao
If you own motorcycles, the link below compares other popular lubricants to AMSOIL: https://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo 90163&page=products/streetbikes/WhitePaper
Become a Preferred Customer and Save 25 to 30 Percent off of Retail Price: https://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo 90163&pagecountmaintenance
--
Steve Spence
Independent AMSOIL Dealer

I'd never really heard too much about Amsoil until seeing your messages in this group.
Apparently, I'm just reading the wrong groups, because you've managed to gain a reputation around the usenet community.
As example, here is some discussion in alt.trucks. ford where group members are emailing your product's manufacturer concerning your actions. http://groups.google.com/group/alt.trucks.ford/browse_thread/thread/2f4dce5a19641af0/4686fbd02bc4ff6d?hl=en&q=%2B%22amsoil%22
And here, in rec.autos.tech, an Amsoil repre- sentative is responding to apparent contact(s) about your actions over there also, Although, I'm not quite sure why the Amsoil webmaster has been assigned the task of this rebuttal? http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.tech/browse_thread/thread/161627b771019153/a16770e0a0d15eb5?hl=en&q=%2B%22amsoil%22
Apparently, there are many more examples....
I have no ax to grind with Amsoil, or with you as an individual or Amsoil dealer. However, I would suggest that you might tone down the rhetoric a little if you really want to promote the Amsoil product(s). Like anything else, if they're good/wonderful/amazing, customers will come to you without any sales pitch.
Sorry, for the interruption.
In 2004, Toyota specified that ALL Toyota vehicles', yes that includes Lexus, oil change intervals are now 5000 miles. This was done because these engines are prone to oil sludge. If you check on the Toyota Lexus web site you find these are now all 5000 miles. You go 5001 miles and "technically" you void any remaining powertrain warranty.
I know, 5000 miles is a joke. That said, Mercedes are still getting up to 18,000-20,000 mile oil change intervals. BMWs up to 15,000 miles. GM and Honda/Acuras 12,000 miles. Even VW/Audi are good for 10,000 miles.
As far as maintenance goes, if you look at the items done, other than "visually inspect", the dealer charges you a lot for not a whole lot of work done beyond what's done during a typical oil change service.