Nissan Corvette/Porsche killer O.T.

The Japanese are going for another market with the new, under 80K Nisson GT R. 480 hp, 0-60 IN 3.5 SEC, 1/4 MILE IN 11.7 at 149 mph terminal speed and priced 50K under a Porsche Turbo. New Motor Trend says "Based on it's performance, it should sell for 400K"

Reply to
John Poulos

What the heck do you think you're doing in 3rd (3 speed), 4th (4 speed), or drive (a/t)??? No big deal at all. Better front rear weight distribution. Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Rice

LOL, is with GM doing it.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

ok, lets RESTATE IT.. WHY run it INSIDE a pipe? admittedly the car is only like 4" off the ground, but why put the shaft in a PIPE, certainly NOT to save weight, even tho it is aluminum..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

That performance is similar to my 2003 Honda which does 0-60 in 3.7, and a top end of 150. Er, it has but one drive wheel. You can buy them all day for 20K.

Reply to
Seth Hammond

To make the driveline a packaged structural member. It can be pre-assembled off site and installed as a unit in the body/frame structure. Assembly line engineering at it's strangest Jeff

wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

I became enamored with the Nissan Skyline GT-R 30 years ago when I raced one in my Austin Healey (in Japan). Nissan (i.e. Datsun) has been unwilling to sell a US modified version since then. John, are you saying they will do so now? I may have to inquire.....:-) Can't imagine the fun! Although at my age, I'd want a test drive to see if there's any comfort in it.

Rich

Richard Morris Renton, WA

1964 Avanti R-1 #5367 1990 Avanti 4-door #78
Reply to
Rich

_____________________ It wouldn't be the first time GM did it. First year Pontiac Tempest had it, with the SOHC six.

It also worked for Lancia in the 50's, and all Alfas after the Alfetta. Can't use Spicer joints, but they do work. Shift linkage is a yard long, though.

Reply to
comatus

Only thing about the Tempest was the driveshaft was a drive cable instead. Used to run around with 3 sisters that has a 4 cylinder edition. Didn't have to worry about brreaking the cable with that setup.

Reply to
blacklarkviii