The New Horse Rips 0-60 In 5.1

With an automatic transmission!

Per Motor Trend:

0-60 in 5.1 - Note: with a 5-speed automatic / final drive 3.31 gears 1/4 mile - 13.6 @ just 99 mph - Note: They suspect "the car's deep, high-fuel mileage 4th and 5th gears are to blame."

NoOp Comment: Huh, you use 5th gear in the 1/4?

Top gear/60 mph - 1,900 rpms

Curb weight - 3520 lbs.

300 HP @ 6,000 315 lb-ft torque @ 4,500

Braking 100-0 - 361 feet

60-0 - 120 feet

Grip - .84 Gs

Slalom speed - 66 mph - Note: The only Mustang faster in the slalom than the new GT was the 2000 Cobra R!

Price 25-$26K

Motor Trend suspects a GT with a manual trans to run 0-60 in 4.8 - 4.9 second range.

NoOp Comment: I say that should be an easy low-13 second car. Now the all we have to worry about is the '05 400hp GTO.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Of course. A properly set-up automatic is way faster in the 1/4 mile ET than a human working the gears. That's why dragsters have (heavily tweaked) automatics..

I suspect the automatic is not to be outsmarted in stock form.

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers
13.6 with an auto?? Wont that be around 13.3-4ish with a 5-speed?? Thats pretty damn quick!

-Franklin '96 Cobra

Reply to
WhyteStang

One of the car-rags tested the 5=speed for their tv-show. Said it did

5.0 seconds on the 0-60. 3520 pounds is quite porky. I wish they had kept it lighter. The car-rag was VERY VERY positive about the handling and everything else. Claimed the solid-axle design is the most modern (ha !) solid-axle design around. Has a panhard-bar. They showed a picture of it, looks pretty different from what we're used to. I wonder if the 5 speed also has 3.31 gears or will it have the 3.55 gears ?

Rein

Yea, it's a bit heavier but so were the '69 - '70 fastbacks. A blast to drive in my opinion.

Reply to
Mark

no doubt. Can't wait for the 06 Cobra. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein