No more traffic rules? (OT)

According to the (long) article linked from below, some towns and cities in Europe are doing away with traffic rules on a trial basis. (One own officer said, "Just stay to the right and don't hit anybody!" IIRC.) It's a long article and I think that the idea could work some places I've lived or been. NYC and Boston are not on my list! To some extent this exists in Britian. If you are in an area where the light poles are less than a certain distance apart, you are limited to

30 MPH. However, if by driving at this low speed you cause a back-up of cars behind you, the laws is obviously unreasonable for that particular stretch of road, so speed up. The pedestrian has the right of way in a cross-walk, but if you can cross it when the pedestrian is still there - if the pedestrian doesn't change speed, obviously, your move was safe and you won't get stopped.

One of the towns is Oostende, which may still be a terminal for a cross-channel ferry. If so, it should be interesting to see how arriving tourists do!

Karl

Reply to
midlant

They started using these mid block/street pedestrian friendly cross walks in a few towns above me. It is playing havoc with traffic. Unlike LA where people have the ROW, here, as you are cruising down the street there are what looks like "wet floor signs" and painted walkways. People just stand on these painted areas, and you are now required to come to a complete stop and allow them to cross. In Pleasantville, Chappaqua, and Mt. Kisco, it is now difficult to drive thru the main business areas. The above mentioned towns are now for those of immense wealth, environmentally concerned, and very self absorbed citizens.

Reply to
Bill Glass

Reply to
midlant